The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 02:52 PM

Gar will become famous soon enough
Default Pike streamers

Here are a couple of Pike streamers I have been fishing this year.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pike streamers

Gar: Nice looking streamers! I have never fished for pike, but I can imagine it is a lot of fun hooking one of those toothy monsters.

Larry
Old 07-23-2009, 05:35 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

Those are awesome flies, Great ties, How are they working out for you on the Pike???
Old 07-23-2009, 08:58 PM

As well as any thing else. The rivers have yet to go below flooding this year and are continually dirty. I think the larger size helps the fish to find them in the muck. The are actually pretty light to cast and hold very little water. The epoxy heads are pretty small so they run in the top 6 inches of water.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:34 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

How do they hold up to the fishes teeth? I've stuck to rabbit strips for my pike streamers for a while. Thanks for the photos, they're giving me ideas for my own streamers!

Marc
Old 07-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice streamers,why do you use short hooks Gar?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:16 PM

Unfortunately they only take a few fish before they are pretty chewed up. But I will change after one good hit if it messes up the fly. I am a fly tying phobic and have boxes of flies at home. I never see the point of using a bad fly.

Alll my streamers are tied on gamaktsu circle hooks or bait hooks with large gaps and short shanks. The heavy wire hook adds weight to the bottom to help the fly keel straight in teh water but not to add extra unneeded wiehgt, because I dont want these to sink anymore than they do. I fish rivers and they get hung up badly on the bottom. I dont like fish guards. The short shank also gets close to eliminating this much material getting wrapped around the hook bend while casting. I flyfish because I like the dynamics of casting not because it is more efficient that my bait caster and I like throwing a full line whether it is needed or not. Long shanked fly are more likely to foul and its one of the few things that gets my goat while on the water.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar View Post
Unfortunately they only take a few fish before they are pretty chewed up. But I will change after one good hit if it messes up the fly. I am a fly tying phobic and have boxes of flies at home. I never see the point of using a bad fly.

Alll my streamers are tied on gamaktsu circle hooks or bait hooks with large gaps and short shanks. The heavy wire hook adds weight to the bottom to help the fly keel straight in teh water but not to add extra unneeded wiehgt, because I dont want these to sink anymore than they do. I fish rivers and they get hung up badly on the bottom. I dont like fish guards. The short shank also gets close to eliminating this much material getting wrapped around the hook bend while casting. I flyfish because I like the dynamics of casting not because it is more efficient that my bait caster and I like throwing a full line whether it is needed or not. Long shanked fly are more likely to foul and its one of the few things that gets my goat while on the water.
Gar: Good explanation, I was also wondering about the short hook shanks. thanks.

Larry
Old 07-26-2009, 04:56 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Ever try them on muskies??????????

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 08-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice looking flies there Gar. Like glassrodder, I pretty much stick to the rabbit strip streamers (Reynold's pike fly). I changed the way I do the head though. I started using heart beads from the craft store instead of the big thread head. It covers the thread making the whole fly tooth proof. I almost always kill the fly with a backcast or some equally stupid move before fish wreck them. I'd post a picture but they still haven't fixed the attach function yet.

Last edited by Guest1; 08-09-2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: remove a doubled up word word.