The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 01:40 AM
SCflyguy is on a distinguished road
Default Foamulator

There's nothing like a stimulator to draw a strike when there is no apparent hatch, but in the fast running streams where I fish, all the gink in the world couldn't keep my flies from going under. Enter the foamulator, it looks just like a regular stimulator, but with a foam body it's practically unsinkable. You tie it exactly the same way only you wrap a thin strip of foam instead of dubbing or chenille for the body. I even use red foam on the nose of the fly. This method gives you the buoyancy of a foam fly, with traditional styling.

On this one I am using olive over natural deer hair for the tail and wing with grizzly hackle. I'm not claiming to have invented this pattern as I'm sure it's been done before, but just thought I'd share. This method works great for EHC as well.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:37 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

Nice.
I agree with your fusion of traditional and new materials...
I made some "mayflies" from a green foam that matched some bugs I'd been seeing on the water - very greenish yellow bugs that were large. Simple tie - tail of hackle wrapped a thin strip of foam, then hackle in front. Done...
Floats awesome and catches fish.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:57 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

Very nice SCflyguy, foam is a wonderful thing...lol
Old 09-11-2009, 03:15 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Foamulator

Superb Tie!!!!
Old 09-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi SCflyguy,

Thanks for sharing a very nice tie. I use a lot of Stimulators and yours looks like a winner and my favorite color.

Here is a fly from Kaufmann's Streamborn that they call a Foamulator.

Frank

Kaufmann's Foamulators
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Really beautiful tying Flyguy!
Kaufmann's Foamulator's a strange beast Frank...not sure some fish won't be afraidby this ET fly
Old 09-11-2009, 07:40 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I like foam for exactly what you say; it keeps the fly up on top of the water, even in fast moving water or in plunge pools. And even if it does go under for a short time in the most turbulent water, it always pops back to the surface not far down the stream.

I also use it as an underbody on flies that are tied with chenile and hackled; like catepillar patterns.