The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 05:38 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default The Cats Whisker fly

Ive heard that these flys are really good flys in europe but havent seen any here in the US so i tied a few up and cant wait to try them..they are suposed to work for trout but idk well see..

how do you think they will perform? it may be quite a while till i get to try them..sorry i shoulda made a background its not the best pics

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/a...17/eggs009.jpg

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/a...17/eggs007.jpg

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/a...17/eggs008.jpg
Old 08-08-2009, 05:39 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Cats Whisker fly

oo and 1 is beadhead style and the other 2 are chain eye styles
Old 08-08-2009, 09:40 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

I ve tied a few of these up a couple yrs ago and they worked good for bass in a few ponds, nice fly.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

According to a pattern used locally, those are tied wrong. The wing goes on the other side of the shank, more like a bonefish fly. Many local anglers swear by them as magic, though I think they use Arctic Fox for the wing and marabou for the tail. I fish some similar stuff, but haven't joined the cat's whisker devout fan club yet.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruggy1 View Post
I ve tied a few of these up a couple yrs ago and they worked good for bass in a few ponds, nice fly.
yea my buddy tied a few up and he said he caught a few smallies on his
Old 08-09-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
According to a pattern used locally, those are tied wrong. The wing goes on the other side of the shank, more like a bonefish fly. Many local anglers swear by them as magic, though I think they use Arctic Fox for the wing and marabou for the tail. I fish some similar stuff, but haven't joined the cat's whisker devout fan club yet.
idk for sure but both videos i watched on you tube use marabou for wing and tail and the wing was in top...but there may be other variations
Old 08-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Just a suggestion- before you crank out a bunch of them, you might want to test a few with the bead chain eyes (or lead/brass dumbell eyes if you use them) in the tub on a bit of mono to see how they swim if you want to make sure the wing is on the top of the fly when it's in the water. The ones with a bead head shouldn't flip.

If the bead chain or dumbbell eyes are tied on top of the shank, it may flip the fly so it rides hook point up in the water. (if the eyes are light enough it probably won't).

If it does, you can tie them inverted (bead chain or dumbell eyes on top of the shank), then flip the hook in the vise and tie the wing on clouser style so the wing rides on top of an upside down hook. This will make the fly more weedless.

Or, you could flip the hook when you start the fly, and tie the dumbell eyes on the shank so that they're on the same side of the shank as the hook point, and then flip the hook and complete the fly with the wing on top of the shank.

mark
Old 08-09-2009, 02:58 PM

hmm good idea..but before i really tie anymore i do want to take them fishing and see if i can catch anything other then bass but thanks for the tips
Old 08-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

They look like they'd be great for Crappie too. Good luck with them!

mark
Old 08-09-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
They look like they'd be great for Crappie too. Good luck with them!

mark
o_O there is a nice rezevior close to my house full of crappies...=