Peacock Quill Wing Streamers

Flityer

Reaction score
Here is a group of peacock quill wing streamers ready for action. This is a fly I developed over the years. It was inspired by a hand full of old school march brown wet flys given to me as a youngster by Andy of the Windsor Fly Shop in Stroudsburg, and along with some wet flys given to me from Ted Patlen.
These are tied on old Mustad 9575 return eye streamer hooks in a size 10.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice flies and small ones for such detail, I am a streamer guy and this wing makes the fly! No matter where you would fish with that fly something that looks like this is swimming around and on the trouts menu.

Ard

Pocono

Reaction score
Nice streamers, Allen!

I like the way that the herl works with the throat and the colors work very well with the body. Wings looks great! All on a #10 hook; impressive.

Pocono

Flityer

Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind words! While at the Valley Forge Fly Fishing show I stopped by to Graham Maisey of Gaelic Hooks . He had a fresh selection on Mike Martinek Rangeley hooks . I bought some size 6 8XL with the idea in mind of stretching this pattern out to give it a larger profile. So as soon as I got home I whipped a few up.. Can't wait to fish them !

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Well Allen, it looks as if those new hooks proved to be good inspiration for you. I'm a streamer aficionado; been tying and fishing them for long enough I can get away with saying that :)

Nice work there,

Ard

Pocono

Reaction score
Allen,

Looks really good on the Mike Martinek 8X Rangeley streamer hook, but I still like that pattern on the old Mustad #10's.

Recently, I've gotten into some mini-streamers on #14 hooks; after reading an article in GFF by Clyde Watson. I fish for Brookies a lot; so the larger streamer patterns don't do me a whole lot of good up here in the Poconos. You know the water that I'm talking about!

Pocono

Flityer

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your kind words !I'm glad you like it, I hope you all will tye a few up to fish and post a story of how you did with this fly.:)