The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Nafff

Default Tying the Black and Peacock Spider

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Tying the Black and Peacock Spider
Old 09-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice
Default Re: Tying the Black and Peacock Spider

A classic fly for sure, however in a lake fishing competition years ago in desprate baking heat and flat calm (and blank) I tried one with a tag of fluorescent green and I couldn't stop catching rainbows. I won the comptetion by a country mile! It might have been a fluke but worth trying variants for sure.

cb
Old 09-11-2009, 09:20 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Very similar to the 'peacock and partridge' that I tie for the alder fly hatch here on my home river.
What's called the aldler fly here in New England is what most people know as the zebra caddis.
It's blanket hatch that lasts about 5 weeks and if you're using any other fly...you're doing it wrong
Old 09-11-2009, 07:05 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

A lot in common with the old North Country Spiders; but with the peacock herl body and ribbing. These flies just plain work.

One of my "go to" flies is the original Stewart Spider pattern; usually in black, hackled with a Starling covert. The irridescent flash off the Starling seems to be a big attractor to the trout in my area.

And for me, almost "anything and partridge" works well; almost all of the time.

I started fishing a brace of 3 wet flies this Summer on days when there's no hatch going on; or not much of one to speak of. As another poster put it, you get a lot of information quickly with that technique. I fish it off Scientific Angler's intermediate tip line. And although I'm a chronic false caster, three flies on the leader really keeps my false casting to a minimum.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:57 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi All. After Reading the Posts & getting ready for our Trout Season,I came across the following info.
The Black & Peacock Spider is an Classic Old English Pattern,originated by T C Ivens.
The Original Tying,from Donald T Overfield & John Goddard.
Hook: Down eye 8 to 12 size
Silk: Black
Underbody:Black floss Silk
Body: Three or four strands of Peacock Herl
Hackle: Soft Black Hen.
However John Goddard says wind 2 turns only,whereas Donald Overfield says 3-4 turns Hackle.
I have also fished it with both Fluro Red & Green Tags,successfully,especially when Beetles are around.
Tom Iven's Mehod of Fishing: When the Fish are Head & Tailing very slowly during the evening rise,grease the leader,except for the last 18",so the fly is fished 2 -6 inches below the surface,retrieved very,very slow to prevent a wake which would scare the trout.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 09-12-2009 at 06:59 AM. Reason: A removal.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:40 PM

ispy968 is on a distinguished road

The Black & Peacock Spider is my 1st line of attack early season on a sink-tip or full sinking line when the water is cold and the fish a bit lethargic.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:15 AM

arkle is on a distinguished road

This fly was, for me & many others responsible for my first fly caught fish.

Over the years it's been "adjusted" to suit different needs of anglers everywhere.

My usual tying is has a mirage tinsel butt, to imitate an air bubble. The body is tied with black dyed peacock herl & counter-ribbed with fine green wire. I use a natural black hen hackle & sometimes palmer it 1/2 way down the body. If I can get them, black anodized hooks add to the "bankside" appeal. Some lead under the body can make a lot of difference as well.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:45 AM

flyfishing007 is on a distinguished road

Found this to be a very useful guide. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:01 AM

mikelangelno is on a distinguished road

This fly saved me from abandoning fly fishing at my first taste. I was pulling rainbow trout out of a small stillwater and decided fly fishing was as much of a challenge as mackerel fishing. About to leave, bored and disillusioned, suddenly I was surrounded by hordes of leggy, black hawthorn flies and as several dropped onto the water the rainbows began to rise enthusiastically. The only fly that bore any resemblance to these hawthorns amid my collection of gaudy lures and cheap wets was this one which I fished dry and the ensuing excitement meant I never looked back and have been a fly fisher ever since!