The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 12:20 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tying Schollmeyer's Parasol Emerger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
I use strictly 2x mono for my posts - no heavier, no lighter. Heavier bulks up the hook too much and lighter allows the post to wrap around the leader when in use. That may be the problem. Also, look at the amount of material I use for one parasol in the pics above and you'll see it's quite a bit. If you use too little it will separate into two halves. My favorite material to use is gray nylon macrame yarn, although the material I show in the pic is very acceptable. I have a supply I found in a thrift store, but I'm sure you could find some in any craft store.

Kelly.

Kelly.
I was going to ask if you had problems with your tippet wrapping around those posts during casts. Your saying too light and it can cause problems?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
I was going to ask if you had problems with your tippet wrapping around those posts during casts. Your saying too light and it can cause problems?

Ahhh, that question just answered my question. Maxima is a stiffer material which would be better for post.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-09-2011, 01:04 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, Maxima 2x is the material of choice. I've experimented with a variety of sizes and brands and the Maxima is what I settled on. The twisting comes from the lighter post material and the parasol wrapping around the leader. Although I only tie those posts about 1/4-inch to 3/8-inch long they can cause problems if you use too light of material, thus the 2x.

I've used flouro material, but it is a bit too stiff. With the post so short the fish won't usually be able to see the post anyway.

One tip is to make sure you tie the parasol using an "improved" clinch knot and not just a clinch knot. The extra step of bringing the tag end back through itself will assure a solid and permanent knot on the parasol.

Kelly.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:30 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

What do you think?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by ausablebrown; 03-09-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:34 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, it won't let me in...
Old 03-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know, you got to it before I could TRY to fix it. I'm a tech-tard...anyone want to tell me how to get a photo on this site? When I click on "insert image" it asks for a http://. I'm assuming that it has to be downloaded from a website? Is there another way to do it? I don't put photos online; I just tried this one on my VERY dormant facebook account and I guess it wouldn't load on the forum page.

Help please????
Old 03-09-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Yeah, I know, you got to it before I could TRY to fix it. I'm a tech-tard...anyone want to tell me how to get a photo on this site? When I click on "insert image" it asks for a http://. I'm assuming that it has to be downloaded from a website? Is there another way to do it? I don't put photos online; I just tried this one on my VERY dormant facebook account and I guess it wouldn't load on the forum page.

Help please????
The way I do it is with a free Photobucket account (Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket). I usually shrink them down to a 640 x 480 pix size and save them in a separate file. I then go to Photobucket and upload them into my Photobucket file. After the upload I put my cursor over the picture and it gives me a drop-down menu of which I choose the bottom option called IMG Code, click on the option and it will say that the file was copied. I then go to my posting on NAFF and paste the photo into whatever I'm writing and there it is. Kind of a long process if you're just starting, but very simple once you're up and going.

There may be other methods, but that's the one I've used for years.

Hope that helps.

Kelly.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Allright, I got it posted now, but it's small. When/where do you have to format the size of the photo? Is that on the picture file on my computer, or is that done after I download it onto photobucket?

That's a size 18 BWO pattern, thick yellow flash thread for the ribbing, but none of the details show up real well in the pic...Probably better that way, it doesn't look too bad in that small pic! I typically have bought anything smaller than 18, so my small stuff tying is a little rough.

I got it blown up on the photobucket site, but it's not too clear. I think it was just digitally increased.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:39 PM

Very well done, sir! As for re-sizing, I use my computer program of Microsoft Office Pictures by choosing the edit feature. I don't ever re-size on Photobucket.

Take that parasol puff and really give it a workout with your thumb and distribute those fibers around and it will lose that half-and-half look, but, it still looks great. Once again, very well done. Now go forth and have fun tying all sorts of different patterns under the parasol.

Kelly.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Looks good to, nice work!

Larry