The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tying Schollmeyer's Parasol Emerger

I'd love to figure out a way to get the tops of the center strands of the puff a brighter color-easier to see and hidden from the fish.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-15-2011, 01:02 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
I'd love to figure out a way to get the tops of the center strands of the puff a brighter color-easier to see and hidden from the fish.
Just stick a couple strands of a bright color and put it at the top of the pile so it ends up in the middle.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:59 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Kelly.. in the picture it says "3/8" to "1/4" between hook and parasol, but it looks much larger.

Looks like about 2 times the hook gap?

Thanks.. Dave
Old 05-04-2011, 06:39 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Kelly was tying this at the Idaho show a few weeks back. Every time I came around to watch him tie it, all I got to see was a whip finish. Now I get it.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:41 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi Kelly nice Patterns,even though I've seen it before I've not used it.
Over here & in New Zealand it should also be a great Fly,I will definately Tie some & try them.
Thanks Brian.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 05-30-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:46 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, all! Not really to promote me or my flies, I just thought I would resurrect this old thread for two reasons: 1- there are a lot of new folks on the site and they might enjoy a new challenge; 2- there are a lot of older folks on the site that are gathering all in for a long winter and need some new and exciting challenges and patterns for next spring - give this a whirl.

I see I failed to respond to a question from dhayden regarding the size of the parasol. I tie them around 1/4-inch to 3/8-inch in size with the post being around the same length. The hook gape varies on different sizes of flies but I'm fairly consistent with the size of the puff nowadays.

Two weeks ago my son and I hit our favorite spring creek for the last time of this year and used the parasol method I've described here and in my article in Flyfishing & Tying Journal (Winter 2011, which was actually published in November of 2010). We use this method of a parasol emerger as an indicator followed by a weighted bead-head flashback Pheasant-tail nymph dropped off of the hook bend of the parasol fly and then trailed by an unweighted amber scud in size 14. Deadly combination on this and many other waters where we have used this method.

The parasol fly acts as a slow-water indicator that doesn't seem to spook the very spooky fish of this spring creek and it suspends the two nymphs very well at just the level where big brown trout are lazing on the tops of the weed beds taking in nourishment.

Here are a few pics from this last season from the spring - every fish caught using the parasol indicator method and usually the PT nymph and either an amber or olive scud:

Click the image to open in full size.

This is not a picture I took, in fact I'm not sure where it came from, but it shows an amber scud very well, followed by my imitation KG's Spring Creek Scud - the imitation is ribbed with KrystalFlash which gives it lifelike qualities when wet:

Hope you all have as much fun with this fly and method to fish it as I have. Have a great winter tying season.

Best Fishes,

Kelly.
mcnerney and madjoni like this.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:14 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Been a few years since I first posted this. I thought maybe a few tiers might be interested in giving them a go.

Here are more recent pics:

Enjoy!

Kelly.
mcnerney and ejsell like this.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:20 PM

len s is on a distinguished road

Have you tried these on shallow riffles?
Old 10-20-2014, 09:55 AM

Len, that is where I originally tested the setup on the Provo River in Utah. I had such great success with it there that I moved on to the Green River with equal success.

I just fished my favorite spring creek over the weekend and had a 23-inch cutthroat take the parasol fly off the surface!

Kelly.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:19 PM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for resurrecting this post. That's definitely a tie I'm going to try when I get a chance. I've been using a large dry fly as an indicator a lot lately but the stream I fish I rarely get a hit on the dry. This looks like the perfect solution for me.