The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 11:59 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tying Schollmeyer's Parasol Emerger

As promised in a different thread and not wanting to hijack that thread I am presenting a step-by-step tutorial on how to tie the Parasol Emerger fly as developed by Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer.

A Brief History
Several Years ago Jim Schollmeyer and Ted Leeson presented an article on the use of a new (to them) concept in fly tying and described the tying and use of flies called Parasol Emergers. Many commented on the article that the concept was not new and credit was given to Fran Betters as the originator of the concept here in the United States. Although Betters’ flies were based on the same principle, anyone can see that the use of a mono post and synthetic fibers for the parasol ‘puff’ do differ from the original Betters patterns. While very few ‘new’ fly concepts have appeared of the past few decades, this one stands out as something quite different from what is generally accepted as an emerger pattern.

The concept itself, tied in common mayfly, caddis and midge emergers, is another good option in a fly-fishers arsenal. Combined as a slack or slow-water indicator, trailed by either a nymph imitation subsurface, or another diminutive emerger pattern in the surface film, the use of the Parasol Emerger then is not only an attractive offering but a very effective method to fool finicky fish – especially in spring creek settings.
After puzzling as to how to fool the PhD educated brown trout of my favorite spring creek I discovered this method which offered flies to these spooky fish without using a foreign strike indicator or large dry fly that spooked the fish. The parasol floats like a cork; the pattern hanging from the post is tied to imitate whatever may be hatching at the time, followed by nymphs or emergers that are prevalent in the water. The fish don’t shy from the parasol as an indicator and any take, no matter how subtle, is transmitted to the parasol fly and hookups are greatly increased.
I thank Leeson and Schollmeyer for their innovation and creative tying methods. I have experimented with numerous patterns, with my own creativity being the only roadblock. Not much has been written since the original introduction of the fly concept by Leeson and Schollmeyer, although the patterns have shown up as commercial offerings from many well-known fly suppliers.

I’ve used the method in many different applications, from my local spring creek, to shallow slack-water along many famous trout streams, to still-water. One of my favorite days was early in the development of this method. I was fishing the famous Railroad Ranch stretch of the Henry’s Fork and found myself on the technical piece of water located between Last Chance and the Ranch cabins. I managed to fool my first Ranch fish using this method during a time when I saw no one catching fish. This experience made me a firm believer and I committed to making it a regular method I would use wherever I found myself.

My favorite spring creek is still where I love to fish most, and, after several years of using and refining this method on this water, I still find myself catching an incredible number of the big beastie browns that reside there, and I attribute my success to the method as well as the flies we’ve developed to compliment the method.

There is a bit of a learning curve to making good looking parasols, but it comes fairly easy and the flies in and of themselves just plain look cool! Having said all of this, I make no claim as to the originality of the Parasol Emerger, I give all of that credit to Mr. Betters, Schollmeyer, and Leeson, just that I have made it a point to concentrate on the best uses of the concept as well as developing some effective patterns which I tie below the parasol.

Click the image to open in full size.

Once again I'd like to point you to the article I had published in the Winter 2011 edition of Flyfishing & Tying Journal from Amato Books, titled "Spring Creek Strategies", it explains my use of the parasol fly as a slow-water indicator and something my tired eyes can track when fishing either subsurface or trailing small emergers that are just plain tough to see in the film.

Hope you enjoy this tutorial.

Tight Lines,

Kelly
Old 03-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tying Schollmeyer's Parasol Emerger

Great post and step by step Kelly,thanks for sharing.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly: Thanks for sharing!

Larry

Old 03-08-2011, 03:34 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Very good step-by-step instruction.....thanks for sharing

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly,

Thanks! I've never tied a parapost pattern - but after your tutorial, it won't be far around the corner!

Pocono
Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Kelly,
Thanks, I gave it a try today. The parasol didn't give me any trouble, it was pretty easy after the step-by-step.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, everyone for your positive feedback. These are fun flies to tie and the patterns you tie under the parasol are endless. Ofttimes I'll just tie a regular Pheasant-tail nymph and the fish won't leave it alone during a hatch.

Kelly.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:21 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quick question; I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to keeping stuff on hand. I used some Poly for the post and when I cinched it down it wants to separate into two halves where it is folded. It seems like I used plenty, but I'm wondering if it is the materials memory, or not enough material, or possibly my mono (I used 14 lb, thats all I could locate for my experiment fly. I think I said antron in another post, I meant poly; I confuse the two often. Poly floats well, antron does not right?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Quick question; I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to keeping stuff on hand. I used some Poly for the post and when I cinched it down it wants to separate into two halves where it is folded. It seems like I used plenty, but I'm wondering if it is the materials memory, or not enough material, or possibly my mono (I used 14 lb, that's all I could locate for my experiment fly. I think I said antron in another post, I meant poly; I confuse the two often. Poly floats well, antron does not right?
I use strictly 2x mono for my posts - no heavier, no lighter. Heavier bulks up the hook too much and lighter allows the post to wrap around the leader when in use. That may be the problem. Also, look at the amount of material I use for one parasol in the pics above and you'll see it's quite a bit. If you use too little it will separate into two halves. My favorite material to use is gray nylon macrame yarn, although the material I show in the pic is very acceptable. I have a supply I found in a thrift store, but I'm sure you could find some in any craft store.

Kelly.

Kelly.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly,
I notice you use Maxima. Do you ever use any other type of mono? or maybe Fluoro?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*