The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default A Couple Cross Salmon Flies;

I have been starting to tie some flies slowly but surely getting in the mood for spring time here. These patterns are of my own making but the cross wrapped tinsels are drawn from an old feather wing streamer pattern known as The Grand Laker. The Laker was one of a series of streamers known collectively as 'The Roosters Regret' streamers. The origination point was Grand Lake Stream in Maine and the first mention of its existence dates to around 1910. It is unknown who began the cross wrapped tinsels on the original fly but I always liked the look and have been tying it in various forms for over 30 years. Now I incorporate the cross wrap into my salmon flies and two new additions are pictured below.

Black Cross;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Orange Cross;

Body detail on the orange;

This is the Grand Laker tied circa 1980;

Recipes will appear in the flies for Alaska threads unless someone wants them here

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-12-2011, 06:35 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A Couple Cross Salmon Flies;

Ard, I like them all a lot. That top photo has to be my favorite though. Great job!!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:30 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

Hi Ard ,

I must say these flies are beautiful! The Black Cross and the Orange Cross are stunning ! I will tye some of these up and give them a go here on the Salmon River . The Grand Laker is a great looking pattern as well.So many flies to fish and so little time.. Thank you for posting them up!!

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 03-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thank you Kelly & Allen,

I try to make all the flies sturdy and I guess they are a little more fancy than need be. Every now and then I get downright artsy feeling and try to make a few that are really different than any I may run across anywhere else. Last year a fly fishing guide on a famous river here ask me what I was using because I had done well within sight of where he had his clients on a big island. He had walked up the shore I think so that I wouldn't move down toward his sports and struck up a chat. I had just turned loose a good size char and I showed him a Santiam Spectrum on my leader, he said "what is that". I opened my box and showed him some dry ones and he said, "You actually fish with that stuff"? He had a rod and reel hanging from his hand that would cost about 800 dollars and he and his fly fishing clients were all using plastic beads and weights held up by indicators the size of a bobber.

I don't know if those two flies will carry the day this season but I was really happy while I was making them. Thanks again,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-13-2011, 09:19 PM

FlySlinger has a spectacular aura aboutFlySlinger has a spectacular aura about

Very nice Ard.. I like the first Black one....Oh by the Way Ard is there a Particula Method that you use to photograph The Color Black, You have done so so well here....
Old 03-13-2011, 09:37 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

great story Ard, I enjoyed that