The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 08:46 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Input on a new Fly i tied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
AND rainbow and Cutthroats.....check this out:

http://www.henryslakeanglers.com/sto...od&productId=8
I haven't seen any WBs with maribou tied in behind the head; except for Orvis' Girdle Bugger. Tony Spezio ties a purple untra chenille WB; with purple maribou tail and bead head.

The fly in your pic (Purple Showgirl) must look essentially black when it's in the water and moving, with just the underside showing as purple.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

With the Purple Crystal Chenille, I think the purple flashes. I was told to also try the SG with one strip of Orange floss down the belly.

I believe VIOLET or Purple is the last color to go the deeper in water. Red being first to go.
So, I have found Purple works awesome on deep lakes. Like at Strawberry...I like purple at 50 feet.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:47 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

You're right about colors being visible in water. Red is at the top of the visible light spectrum, purple (violet) is at the bottom. So as light penetrates the water, the shorter wavelength light, like violet, will go off last and the longer wavelength light, like red, will go off first. When I learned the light spectrum back in high school, they used a person's name to help you remember the order of the colors: "Roy G. Biv". Strange last name, I know, but it stuck with me. Here's the order

Roy G Biv = Red / Orange / Yellow / Green / Blue / Indigo / Violet.

Here's a little more detail:

Color Wavelength Frequency

violet 380450 nm 668789 THz
indigo 420450 nm 668714 THz
blue 450495 nm 606668 THz
green 495570 nm 526606 THz
yellow 570590 nm 508526 THz
orange 590620 nm 484508 THz
red 620750 nm 400484 THz

I've never fished at 50', but it might be interesting to run a little experiment to see what colors stopped working for you as you go deeper; maybe try yellow, blue and purple and see what color hooks more fish at what depth.

Probably a lot less fun than just fishing, but it might be an interesting thing to demonstrate.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting post Allan....we're lucky to have an eminent scientist on the forum