The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 06:50 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Barry's steelhead flies

Back in 1963 to 1972 I packaged and fished flies tied by Dave Barry. Most people do not know who he is, but he invented a few patterns for salmon on the B.C. coast, that many people would remember.
These were his steelhead flies from that period.
Dave was a shipwright and a professional fly tyer and he paid me to package his flies for him. It awoke in me, something I am still dealing with today. Dave paid me in flies or cash, whichever I wanted.
In memory of Dave I recreated the patterns he tied from my rusty memory, my apologies, they are not as well tied as his were.
Click the image to open in full size.

The Double Fireball

Double egg
The Comet
Not sure of the name
Fireball
Old 10-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barry's steelhead flies

What a great way to honor your mentor. Please post more pics.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 10-14-2009, 08:24 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I lost my hard drive recently and some of the pictures were lost. I published a story about Dave so I scrounged up a few more. Some are not casting flies. The Flashtails were originally invented with hair from our goat. They were immensley popular for quite a few years and I caught alot of salmon on them but they were trolling flies, tube flies to boot!
Here are the rest of the pictures. The shrimp pattern is truly a best effort, I do not know what he tied with so I used raffia, but it is a poor replica at best.
Steelhead Shrimp
Some of his original Flashtails
Action Flashtail, one of his originals I found in a second hand shop. I have found 3 of them but all in this colour.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Kerry,

Very nice job on the ties. was he the originator of the Comet?

Are

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-14-2009, 09:50 PM

To my knowledge he may have been. I was pretty young and not too well informed about the existing patterns.
I have done these from memory but I think they are fairly accurate.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:06 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

great ties! seen a few in the flytyer magazine. the double eggs i believe

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:41 AM

I think some patterns have been around for a long time. The Double Fireball is still being tied under a couple of different names, but who is to say it wasn't around even before Dave tied it.
The flies were pretty simple and probably rightfully so.
Dave had many of his flies tied in England, but did most of the larger flies himself.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

Kerry, thanks for sharing your flies.

The Comet fly I remember always had bead-chain eyes. It started in Northern California. It was derived from the Boss Fly and was very popular for many years. The Comet has been tied in many variations but all that I ever saw had the large bead-chain eyes. It would be a good Alaska fly.

Ard, I missed your comment. The Comet was out in 1949 or somewhere in the 40's.

Frank

Boss Fly

Comet Fly

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 10-15-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: add comment
Old 10-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice flies Kerry....might steal some ideas to tie reservoir flies
Old 10-15-2009, 01:53 PM

Sounds good! Hey let me know if you do and how they work for you?

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Hey Frank. I think that given the time and place, Dave may have come up with simplified patterns on his own and then named them appropriately. This happens many times over the decades as most of us have probably noticed.
Dave's "Comet" pattern would support the name and his theme when you look at the Fireball and the double fireball and so on.
There was little or no real communication in those days, between tyers on an international basis let alone a more domestic basis.
As the internet has developed we see many cases of repetition in patterns and names happening all over the world.
I suspect the 1949 Comet pattern had no influence in the other comet pattern, though there is some vague resemblance between flies.
Thanks for the history by the way, I love those bits of information when I can find them.