pike poppers

rmooney

Reaction score
i made a couple of long pike poppers for next season. you cant see the hook because the rabbit strip is covering it up, but that shouldnt be a problem when its wet. think theyll work???

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
I am ot sure how large they are but pike will eat them. About the only way I fish for pike any more is to use floating bugs or poppers up in the reed beds where they sit in 2' or less water and explode under the lure as you pop it by. You might want to look at making a few weedless as well. Good poppers!:)

rmooney

Reaction score
they are about 5.5-6 long. i mage them so if there was a big bass in the weeds it would also hit the popper.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi rmooney,

Those look great to me. You might want to make some with a red head and a white tail. I know that Alaska Pike like red white flies or lures.

Frank

Gar

Reaction score
My only concern is the weight of the rabbit strip once water logged making the fly sit head facing the sky. It will make it difficult to get a good popping action out of them.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I would soak those tails in Hydrostop for a while. That would go a long way in keeping the tail floating.

Frank

Loon Hydrostop

rmooney

Reaction score
wouldnt a couple of fast false casts be enough to dry it out enough to still allow it to float? i havent fished them yet, so i dont know how they will work.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I use Reynold's Pike flies a lot. They are also Rabbit. It does not dry out on the back cast. You may have to work them fairly fast to keep them on top. I tried something like them a few years back but the head was not as big. I was going more for a slider kind of thing. They didn't float but they sank slower. Your head may be big enough though to make it float. Floating tail down may not be a bad thing. Can't hurt to try.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi rmooney,

Rabbit can really soak up the water. I don't think false casting will work very well. Believe me, soaking them in Hrdrostop or one of the other waterproofing solutions will make a big difference.

Frank

rmooney

Reaction score
thanks for the tip frank, ill have to remember that for next season :) i dont know what else to use for the tail, because i wanted a long tail with a lot of action. what have you guys used or seen used for tails on pike poppers?

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi rmooney,

A lot of places that sell fly tying materials sells Hydrostop. If they have Loon products they can get it for you. Here is a link to Loon Industries and their "locate a dealer" map. Just click on your state and Loon dealers will be listed.

Frank

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Hi rmooney,

Why don't you try something like the tail you have on this fly?

Frank

This is why I don't like photobucket photos.
[ame]http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo207/rmooneyfit/IMG_0041.jpg[/ame]

rmooney

Reaction score
thanks for the info frank. i was going to try using chenille for a tail, but i just dont think that would hold up too well, especially against pike :S i was just at gander mountain in onalaska, WI and theyve never heard of it! ill probably end up ordering it online, because that stuff seems really cool.

MrEsox

Reaction score
one thing i would like to add about the bunny stripps on the back...when they take up water they become heavy. Make sure that you dont over do it with the amount u add to the back or u risk making it too heavy for your rod. Also it helps casting in a wind since the wet hair flys like a rock. As long as they float yes they will work very well.