The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 01:43 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice
Default pike poppers

i made a couple of long pike poppers for next season. you cant see the hook because the rabbit strip is covering it up, but that shouldnt be a problem when its wet. think theyll work???

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:18 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: pike poppers

I am ot sure how large they are but pike will eat them. About the only way I fish for pike any more is to use floating bugs or poppers up in the reed beds where they sit in 2' or less water and explode under the lure as you pop it by. You might want to look at making a few weedless as well. Good poppers!
Old 10-18-2009, 04:38 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

they are about 5.5-6 long. i mage them so if there was a big bass in the weeds it would also hit the popper.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi rmooney,

Those look great to me. You might want to make some with a red head and a white tail. I know that Alaska Pike like red white flies or lures.

Frank
Old 10-22-2009, 03:54 PM

Gar will become famous soon enough

My only concern is the weight of the rabbit strip once water logged making the fly sit head facing the sky. It will make it difficult to get a good popping action out of them.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:03 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

The good thing about Pike, is you really only need to displace water. That is something they should do well.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

I would soak those tails in Hydrostop for a while. That would go a long way in keeping the tail floating.

Frank

Loon Hydrostop
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:41 PM

wouldnt a couple of fast false casts be enough to dry it out enough to still allow it to float? i havent fished them yet, so i dont know how they will work.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:30 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use Reynold's Pike flies a lot. They are also Rabbit. It does not dry out on the back cast. You may have to work them fairly fast to keep them on top. I tried something like them a few years back but the head was not as big. I was going more for a slider kind of thing. They didn't float but they sank slower. Your head may be big enough though to make it float. Floating tail down may not be a bad thing. Can't hurt to try.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Hi rmooney,

Rabbit can really soak up the water. I don't think false casting will work very well. Believe me, soaking them in Hrdrostop or one of the other waterproofing solutions will make a big difference.

Frank