The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Alderwood; A salmon & Trout fly

I took inspiration from another members post and put together a pattern I believe will be a good fishing fly for clear sky days. Regardless of how many brightly colored flies I tie or carry I often find myself reaching for the more muted colored offerings in my box.

The Fly;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

The Recipe;

Hook:Gamakatsu single salmon #1
Thread: Black
Tag: Medium oval tinsel gold
Tail: Dyed golden pheasant crest crimson
Body: Rear half olive green floss ribbed with fine gold oval tinsel
Waist joint: Peacock herl
Body: Front half of dubbed brown seal with olive sparkle dub added, ribbed with heavy gold oval tinsel
Throat: A pinch of dyed olive rabbit fur
Wing: A pair of pheasant tail sections as under-wing, very sparse lt.olive bucktail over which is a nice bunch of natural Monga ringtail or similar

I've tied up several variations of this fly while searching for the most fishy looking blend of materials. Some are more green than this, I will of course try them all and settle on the best producer.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;