The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Ironwood; Spey Fly Added

I really love winter, well late fall here but it is cold and windy enough to keep me away from the river so............ I enjoy tying flies as much as I enjoy fishing. Does that mean I'm getting old? At any rate I have stumbled unto an idea that for me is new ground. I am going to produce a series of fly patterns that are meant for salmon and trout / steelhead. The epiphany for me is that rather than the brightly colored flies I have been either copying or creating for over thirty years I will be tying with earth tone materials.

Whenever you actually create something you must give it a name. If you build a building and then park your car in it you should call it your garage right? Since the colors that I intend to employ will be mostly those of natures more muted variety I am calling these the wood series flies. Scaled down they would be fine fare for trout anywhere in the country. Built on a size 1 single salmon hook you have yourself a fly for the Atlantic or Pacific coast fisheries.

The Fly; Cedarwood

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

The Recipe;

Hook: Gamakatsu single salmon #1
Thread: Black
Tag: Medium oval copper tinsel
Tail: A few very small marabou herls dyed brown
Body: Rear half, copper brown floss ribbed with medium oval copper tinsel
Waist joint: Peacock herl
Body: Front half, dubbed fur from a hare's mask ribbed with medium embossed copper tinsel
Beard: A small bunch of tiny marabou feather herls
Wing: Matched goose quill sections dyed cedar tan, over which is a small bunch of fitch tail spun around the top of wing.
Collar: Rich brown hackle tied back
Head: Black and lacquered

Seen with a litter-mate, Alderwood;

Alderwood;

The Recipe;

Hook:Gamakatsu single salmon #1
Tag: Medium oval tinsel gold
Tail: Dyed golden pheasant crest crimson
Body: Rear half olive green floss ribbed with fine gold oval tinsel
Waist joint: Peacock herl
Body: Front half of dubbed brown seal with olive sparkle dub added, ribbed with heavy gold oval tinsel
Throat: A pinch of dyed olive rabbit fur
Wing: A pair of pheasant tail sections as under-wing, very sparse lt.olive bucktail over which is a nice bunch of natural Monga ringtail or similar

This is the third of the classic hair and feather wing type ties of this series.

The Cottonwood:

The Recipe;

Hook: Gamakatsu T10-6H size 1/0
Thread: Black 0/8
Tag: Old Sunrise wide gold tinsel, very gold colored
Tip: Copper rayon floss
Tail: A very small bunch of polar bear tied in short
Body:Rear 2/3 Ginger brown floss / Rib: Braided gold tinsel cord size 10
Body: Front, dubbed heavy with olive grey blend / Rib: palmered with hen pheasant shoulder feather
Beard: Small bunch of polar bear
Wing: Underwing is a small bunch of white marabou
Cloak: Overwing is a bronzed mallard flank tied in flat
Head: Built to a taper and lacquered black 0/8 thread

Next there are three Spey patterns;

The Driftwood Spey;

The Recipe;

Hook: Daiichi Alec Jackson Spey sized 1.5
Tag: Copper oval tinsel fine
Tail: Short golden pheasant crest dyed dk. olive green
Body: Black spun fur
Rib: Braided copper tinsel wide; Follow with a burnt spey hackle dyed heron grey.
Collar: Burnt spey hackle dyed brown
Wing: A bronzed mallard feather folded and tied over all
Head: Lacquered black tying thread

Next, a color variation of the Driftwood theme;

The Olive Driftwood;

The Recipe;

Hook: Alec Jackson Spey 1.5 Bronze
Tag: Fine oval copper tinsel
Tail: Golden pheasant crest dyed dk. olive green
Body: Brown spun fur
Rib: Braided copper tinsel, followed by a brown burnt spey hackle
Wing: Matched sections of a golden pheasant tail feather
Collar: Long olive green spey hackle
Head: Wound with black ostrich herl tied off and lacquered.

This is the third of the spey styl patterns in this series.

Ironwood;

Recipe;

Hook: Alec Jackson spey 1.5
Thread: Black 0/8
Tag: Flat medium silver tinsel
Tip: A very small winding of deep claret floss
Body: Rear 2/3, thinly dressed with silver grey floss then burnished to dull it a bit.
Waist: A short grey spey hackle faced with black ostrich herl
Body: Front 1/3, Built up to three times the thickness of the rear with floss and ribbed with silver oval braid.
Collar: A long grey spey hackle
Wing: A teal flank dyed dk. gray / black
Head: Tapered and lacquered black thread

I figure six are enough for a series of patterns. I have tied a utility version of each pattern that is simpler and less time consuming at the vise but hold true to the theam of each fly. I will post them in the coming days. I trust you will find these flies as interesting as I have. My intention was to give myself a gift that I could not go out and buy. I hope displays such as this will inspire you to be creative at your flycraft when you tie.

Ard

Last edited by Hardyreels; 04-27-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Adding the Ironwood Spey
Old 11-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Wood Series; Salmon & Trout Patterns

Ard: That is a great idea! Your flies are always great, but I think you have a great idea with the earth tone fly series.

Larry
Old 11-02-2009, 07:12 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Two great looking tyes Ard...

Dan
Old 11-02-2009, 05:06 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

very nice indeed..I'll be adding them to my data base..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

You are a talented man Ard. Nice work, very nice.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 11-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

You're like a fashion designer Ard,your fall fashion show is sumptuous
Old 11-04-2009, 08:18 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Ard,

Very pretty ties. I was wondering, what do you use to lacquer the heads of your salmon flies?

Pocono
Old 11-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Allen,

Three coats of WAPSI Gloss coat head cement. Let the first sink in and dry then the next two build to the nice hard head you see.

I will be finishing four more of this type fly, probably another tomorrow. I am dying goose, duck, turkey and hackles tonight. I will include a list of dyes' with the other patterns. They should be nice flies and they will be fishy.

Ard
Old 11-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Default Driftwood; a Spey pattern

I have added another pattern to the original post, see what you think. Feed back is much appreciated.

Ard

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

One more pattern pasted to thread.

Ard
Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I like it too! Is that a 'Dee style'?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/