The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 09:52 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default anyone think this basic ant pattern would work?

its to late in the season for me to try and i dont have material for it right now but does anyone think this simple patern would work?

Old 11-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone think this basic ant pattern would work?

flyfisher117: That is a very popular pattern here in the Rockies, especially on the Green River, Colorado River and the Snake River. I like to use it like you would fish with a hopper/dropper combo.

Larry
Old 11-04-2009, 03:22 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The Chernobyl Ant is very effective. Like Larry, I use it in a dry/dropper rig. The one in the video is the original pattern. There are many variations of it. I prefer using the multi-color flies.

Click the image to open in full size.

MP
Old 11-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Uh yeah, they work. Bass will often attack them with reckless abandon.

I once even had one work too well. I was working at a fly shop at the time and myself and another guy were recruited to go out to a wealthy family's ranch and teach them and their friends how to fish and cast. We practiced casting in a field first and then headed to their pond. I was in the process of showing them how to lift line off the water and cast and in the process of getting the fly 25' out or so, a bass came up and killed a red chernobyl ant.

Here I was getting paid to teach them to catch fish, and I landed the first one!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:51 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Uh yeah, they work. Bass will often attack them with reckless abandon.

I once even had one work too well. I was working at a fly shop at the time and myself and another guy were recruited to go out to a wealthy family's ranch and teach them and their friends how to fish and cast. We practiced casting in a field first and then headed to their pond. I was in the process of showing them how to lift line off the water and cast and in the process of getting the fly 25' out or so, a bass came up and killed a red chernobyl ant.

Here I was getting paid to teach them to catch fish, and I landed the first one!
k, but what im wondering is will the bazic design work just as well as say the one posted above?