The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Amnesia , a fly for salmon & steelhead

This past season changed my mind about chartreuse green flies. While swinging a big fat brown sculpin pattern in a huge pool for silver salmon I had several fish follow my leader and try to grab it. I use a 16" length of 30lb amnesia as my butt / sight indicator and the fish were very interested in it. I had only one chartreuse fly in my box and it caught me a salmon that afternoon. I plan to have a bunch this next season and this will be one of the new recruits.

Amnesia;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Tying Recipe;

Hook: Daiichi 2051 single size 1.5
Thread: Black
Tag: Flat medium silver tinsel, use metal tinsel not Mylar, the latter will not hold up well.
Tip: Chartreuse floss very long
Butt: A nice black saddle hackle wound and angled back toward bend of hook
Body: Chartreuse green floss
Ribbing: Wide embossed silver tinsel followed with a chartreuse green spey hackle
Wing: A sparse bunch of long black bear or polar bear dyed black
Collar: A bright yellow saddle hackle

This fly bears a resemblance to the Coburn Special and it was there that I found my foundation for the tie. With the addition of the butt hackle and the tinsel and spey rib I believe I have wandered far enough from the Coburn to call my fly by a different name. I felt amnesia was an appropriate handle given the color.

Amnesia Orange;

This is basically the same tie with an orange twist. The long spey style hackle is applied as a collar and not a rib and there is a tail of orange hackle fibers placed over the black butt hackle. Also, I used dyed spun fur on the front section of the body and picked it out with the bodkin to make things a bit fuzzy. I catch a lot of salmon on orange flies.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 11-19-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Adding Amnesia Orange
Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amnesia , a fly for salmon & steelhead

Beautiful Amnesia flies Ard.I have different colours of my"chub special".The one I used last saturday because it was very cloudy has a chartreuse body...I can't remember when I had the idea to tie this pattern
Old 11-18-2009, 07:20 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Ard, that is a nice looking fly, the color should be great in stained water...

JP, when will you post a pic of the chub special?

Dan
Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Dan,here's a pic of one the chub special patterns taken by Pocono and posted in the thread Flies from across the pond.I've just bought a new (second hand)camera and I'll take a pic of the chartreuse one when I know how to use it(the camera not the nymph of course)
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future

JP, That should be awesome tied up with a chartreuse body...Is that peacock on the thorax or Ice Dub?

Dan
Old 11-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Dan,the thorax is black hare flash,on the chartreuse(which is a french word) pattern the tail and legs are black and the little bead green.You'll get a pic as soon as I can.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hey fly lovers,

I added another variety to this thread, Orange Twist style. These will catch fish, especially salmon.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 AM

Ard, I like the Orange Twist version also...It should definitely be a killer...

Dan
Old 01-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Dan,here's a pic of one the chub special patterns taken by Pocono and posted in the thread Flies from across the pond.I've just bought a new (second hand)camera and I'll take a pic of the chartreuse one when I know how to use it(the camera not the nymph of course)
Click the image to open in full size.
That is an interesting looking nymph JP. I just ran across this old thread while searching for some post's I wrote long ago. By the way the Amnesia flies in the pictures have been replaced because both worked well for salmon