The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Fancy Steelhead Flies; Do They Work?

I had someone ask me this recently and so I had to put together an example. The fly in the picture is a transition from the Nine Three streamer fly pattern which was around before I was born. I have altered the tying style enough that the pattern resembles the original only in the basic color concept, (black & olive on a silver body. I have included in this posting a photo of a steelhead with the fly visible in the lower left jaw. This is a worth while pattern to tie and fish with especially in its original state as first presented 80years ago.

Ards' Nine Three;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

This is the same fly dressed on a standard streamer hook. Either type will give the desired results but I like the streamer design in small creeks and the big spey in larger ones.

This is one of many fish who have found this fly pattern irresistible when on the swing.

I believe the trout think the fly is a baby salmon. There is a strong population of coho in the stream where this one was caught and the young fish appear pretty dark in color.

If you are tying flies and swinging them in hope of catching steelhead or just big trout, give the Nine Three a whirl, you can find the recipe for the pattern in any good streamer fly tying book.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Fancy Steelhead Flies; Do They Work?

Hi Ard,

Thanks for sharing some great looking flies. The Nine Three I remember had some green in it. Here is an example tied by J. B. Martin.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Frank,

I know about the green and will tie them for display; I never did well with the bright bug green, the wing on the streamer style is dark olive green with black over top. I don't make them (the wings) long because they get wound around and through the bend of the hook and then the fly 'Corkscrews' on the swing and strip. I have never had a fish hit a streamer that was doing the corkscrew thing.

When the wing is the right length and the fly swimming properly they are deadly. The changes made are why I call it Ards' Nine Three. Remember, the greatest compliment is imitation, so I am complementing the originator by keeping his fly in the news even if it is in the name only. It's the thought that counts.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

quote:The fly in the picture is a transition from the Nine Three streamer fly pattern which was around before I was born.
Yep!I've seen some paintings of this one in Lascaux caves!
Experience always wins the day...in french...c'est dans les vieux pots qu'on fait les meilleures confitures