The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Mouse Pattern

Hi Larry,

Nice tie. I like the buggy look.

Frank
Old 12-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmie: That could be a problem. I cut my strips fairly thin, I didn't measure but tried to stay inside a 1/4". I also discovered that the best area is to use the back where the guard hairs are the longest. Toward the rear and on the sides the guard hairs aren't long enough to give a good buggy look. Be sure to tie the strip in at the rear and tie it in backwards. Cut the underfur off a section about !/4" to tie to the hook. Then as you wrap make sure they are good and tight and with the other hand pull back the previous wrap and try to slightly overlap each wrap, that will tend to build up the body to give you a nice full mouse. You might ask Don to give you a hand, he will know how to do it correctly.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
That's awesome Larry.
I tried tying one but it didn't turn out half as good as yours. Maybe the strips are too wide on mine????

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Larry,

Nice tie. I like the buggy look.

Frank
Frank: Thanks, the Nutria fur has some really long guard hairs that really give it a good looking buggy appearance.

Larry
Old 12-20-2009, 12:41 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Thanks Larry. I'll give that a try. Good job again.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:49 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

AWESOME mouse Larry so real looking
welldone
Chris
Old 12-21-2009, 03:13 PM

cicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to behold

-Here-and me a little mouse on the Hook 1 / 0, Body Poly Yarn, monofil eyes, tail skin,ears skin...

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

cicvara: Awesome looking mouse! I'll bet you can fool a lot of big browns with that pattern. Thanks for sharing, you are a very talented tier.

Larry
Old 12-21-2009, 04:53 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

cicvara
That's a beauty. It's so shiny you should call it the Disco Mouse.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Man, these are some killer mouse flies, I am glad I am in on this one. Mine isn't as cool and realistic, but it will float like a cork and really cool popping.

I will get mine in the mail after Christmas Crazies.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:16 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

looks good to me!!!! I have that mouse joni ties. I got it from joni in a swap! I tie a mouse pattern also using deer hair and foam for the body and rubber legs for tail. here it is. this will never sink!!!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Man, these are some killer mouse flies, I am glad I am in on this one. Mine isn't as cool and realistic, but it will float like a cork and really cool popping.

I will get mine in the mail after Christmas Crazies.
Joni: What material are you using for your mouse. It looks like it might be Nutria fur. I like the addition of foam on the bottom and the tail you have.

Larry