The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 11:40 AM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default help with tying

Guys....

I can not tie a Orvis moto minnow if my life depends on it. Can some one please help me
Old 12-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help with tying

Take it easy guyhave a lok here:http://www.3rff.org/PDF/Newsletter/May_2007.pdf
page2
Old 01-01-2010, 05:08 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I have an Orvis book for tying and their flys seem unnecessarily difficult to do. I've found easier ways to make a lot of their flys.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:24 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough

how? would u like to share?
Old 01-03-2010, 09:20 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Sure.

-When tying the hackle on to a wooly bugger the directions state to leave the fibers on both sides of the feather. I had a lot of trouble getting the hackle to lay right. I peeled the fibers off of one side and now it works fine.

-For the black nose dace bucktail (a type of streamer that imitates baitfish) the body is made of silver tinsel and then your supposed to put a looser spiral of rounded silver around it. This gives the body more texture, but I leave it off. I figured with all that silver the fish isn't going to miss it anyway.

-In tying a bead head soft hackle (a type of nymph) the book says to glue the bead 1/3 of the way back from the eye and when that's dry to start tying the body. I just put the bead and push it up to the eye. Then I start tying the body at the proper place. When I've done that I push the bead back to the body and then glue it in place. The glue also glues the strands to the body, so that I can cut the thread and then ty the hackle in front of the bead (as your supposed to.)

-In most of the flys they have you attach the tail fibers by laying them at a 45 degree angle to the hook shank and then ty them on. As you ty them on the tail is supposed to come down and lay flat out from the shank. Whenever I tried this the tail would splay out, or get crooked, or something else equally undesirable. Instead of this I just ty them on using the pinch technique. That's when you pinch the material in your hand, loop the thread loosely over the material, and slowly pull down on the thread so that it pinches the material to the shank.

These are just a few that I can think off of the top of my head. My thoughts are that even if I don't ty the fly "properly", as long as it catches fish who cares?