The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 04:42 PM

Stillwater angler has a spectacular aura aboutStillwater angler has a spectacular aura about
Default One for Frank { uk amber worm }

Sorry for the poor quality of pic. , but here we have a lethal uk stillwater pattern.
Our trout hit these patterns HARD...... varient colours, olive, red and pink are good, black and other somber colours are used but not as effective for us.

Click the image to open in full size.

The movement in the water is un-real.

Body. 6x amber seed beads { glued in }.
Legs. Amber flexi floss..... 2x front, 4 x centers, 2x rear.
Hook. Fulling Mill short shank 6. nickel.
Butt. Red glo-brite floss.

Fred.
Fulling Mill.
Trout Fisherman.

Last edited by Stillwater angler; 12-26-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One for Frank { uk amber worm }

Fred: You have some real unusual stillwater patterns, I'm going to tie a few up and try on our local lakes next spring! Our water is all frozen at the moment.

Larry
Old 12-26-2009, 06:48 PM

Stillwater angler has a spectacular aura aboutStillwater angler has a spectacular aura about

Hi again Larry !

Yes my friend i do !!....... and there's a few more ' leggy ' ones to follow when i up-load some pics. I have plenty of ' standard ' stuff but i work on/with flies they have to hit !!............. love the rod ripped out of my hands

Fred.
Fulling Mill.
Trout Fisherman.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:39 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Fred,

Welcome to the forum.

That amber worm looks like a great fly. I can see how the fish would hit it hard; I suspect a lot of motion from those legs; even on stillwaters, and good reflection off the multiple beads.

How are you attaching the front and rear legs (middle legs are clear from the pic). Thanks.

Pocono
Old 12-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great fly Fred...I understand why trout get crazy....same for me when I see the Moulin Rouge dancers' legs....I'm afraid I'm going to get another yellow card from Ard and Frank
Old 12-27-2009, 04:55 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Great fly Fred...I understand why trout get crazy....same for me when I see the Moulin Rouge dancers' legs....I'm afraid I'm going to get another yellow card from Ard and Frank
J-P, when in Paris, I'd rather spend an evening at Crazy Horse, than a week at either the Moulin Rouge or the Lido! No yellow card from me; just some cultural acceptability differences between countries; all part of the mix as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Fred,

How are you attaching the front and rear legs (middle legs are clear from the pic). Thanks.

Pocono
Hi Pocono,

Take 2x approx. 3inch lengths of flexi-floss, simply feed them through the seed beads, { all the beads can be looped onto the flexi-floss in one go, say via a small bit of wire etc } then slip over the hook point and run bead up to hook eye. I like to just feed one on at a time and superglue it in place. Just a point with the center legs, leave a gap after your third bead to place the first center leg over the hook shank with an overhand knot, place a dot of glue { i use cocktail sticks } to the downside of the knot, then gently secure via fouth bead. Finish fly then go back to center leg by adding another strand of flexi floss, again using over hand knot. Add a dot of super glue on top of knot to secure. Leave to dry, place hook in vice, hold all legs up together, then cut, should leave all legs level.

Fred.
Fulling Mill.
Trout Fisherman.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
J-P, when in Paris, I'd rather spend an evening at Crazy Horse, than a week at either the Moulin Rouge or the Lido! No yellow card from me; just some cultural acceptability differences between countries; all part of the mix as far as I'm concerned.

I daren't mention the C.H and othersFrank and Ard sometimes tell me I'm naughty....but I think they love it
Old 12-27-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater angler View Post
Hi Pocono,

Take 2x approx. 3inch lengths of flexi-floss, simply feed them through the seed beads, { all the beads can be looped onto the flexi-floss in one go, say via a small bit of wire etc } then slip over the hook point and run bead up to hook eye. I like to just feed one on at a time and superglue it in place. Just a point with the center legs, leave a gap after your third bead to place the first center leg over the hook shank with an overhand knot, place a dot of glue { i use cocktail sticks } to the downside of the knot, then gently secure via fouth bead. Finish fly then go back to center leg by adding another strand of flexi floss, again using over hand knot. Add a dot of super glue on top of knot to secure. Leave to dry, place hook in vice, hold all legs up together, then cut, should leave all legs level.

Fred.
Thanks Fred. That's a big help. I'm definitely going to give that pattern a try. One more question - where do you get the amber beads?

Pocono
Old 12-27-2009, 11:02 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Pocono, check out your local craft store, look for 6/0 japanese beads...

Dan