The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 11:59 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default Got a fly tying kit for xmas heres my first flies

Ok here is what i tied for the first time

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:32 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Got a fly tying kit for xmas heres my first flies

Looks like a good start Smallieman!

Ard
Old 12-28-2009, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Ard...very good start...you'll always remember these first flies
Old 12-28-2009, 07:09 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Same for me; looks like a a very good start.

The classic "first time" fly is the woolly bugger; good for picking up materials skills; thread, marabou, hen hackle and chenile and you can almost be certain that your "first fly" will catch fish!

Have fun!

Pocono
Old 12-28-2009, 07:19 AM

morayflyfisher is a jewel in the roughmorayflyfisher is a jewel in the roughmorayflyfisher is a jewel in the rough

for your first flies a very well done,try not to overload the head of the fly which is what everyone does when they first start.
keep it up colours are good.

www.morayflyfishing.co.uk
Old 12-28-2009, 08:26 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Nicely done, fish those flies, there is nothing quite like the feeling when you catch your first fish on afly you tied. Mine is in a picture frame now with a picture of the fish I caught on it. It wasn't the first fly I tied, but it was the first fish on a fly I tied. Lots of folks keep thier first fly they tied and then compare it to ones they tie later in thier tying life.

Keep it up, fly tying has brought me many hours of enjoyment and experimentation and lots of fish.

Dave
Old 12-28-2009, 08:33 AM

wild trout is on a distinguished road

They look better than my first flies. If you can keep them on the side. In 3,6,9,12 months go back and look at them. You'll be amazed the difference in the flies.

WT
Old 12-28-2009, 09:19 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Good start Smallie...Remember, Practice Makes Perfect...Keep cranking out those flies...

Dan
Old 12-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Well done! I'd save that first fly in a safe place for you to refer back to in the years to come.

Larry
Old 12-28-2009, 04:02 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice ! Those flies will catch fish, but I have to echo the comments about
building up too much thread at the eye. My first 100-300 flies had heads with
way too much thread. The problem comes from having the materials too
close to the hook eye, and the fear that less than 50 wraps won't secure
the materials. I finally decided to end my materials short of the hook's eye,
and to secure all materials with as few wraps as possible. Some streamers
do call for a large head, but the materials should still be kept back from the
eye.

Catch something on those flies, and post a pic.

P.S. Once my tying improved to the point that my flies looked like those in
shops, I threw all the old stuff in the trash. Lightly dressed patterns were
scraped clean, and the hooks saved, but the little stuff was tossed.

Oh Yeah.... I told another forum member that my winter tying is much better than my
summer tying: I rush too much during summer months, and it shows. When I first began tying, I
was in a rush to build a huge collection, and that was a mistake as well. I've resolved to take my
time, and tie all flies to the best of my ability.