The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default The Char Fin a Married Wing wet fly

I promise not to bombard you with new patterns but Pocono got me going with his Married Wing Wet Flies thread. I put a post on it and proceeded to talk about a variation of the Brook Fin that I fish with here. We don't have brook trout but we do have char and they get big. They also color up every year beginning about late September and when they are ready to spawn the tend to be a bit more aggressive. That is when I show them this or an Oatman's Brook Trout Minnow streamer.

Char Fin;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

I tied a new one for this post because my only one in the wallet is missing half a wing. They do get aggressive you know. I am not posting the recipe because I figure you can see what it is made of.

Ard

I just came back and looked at this and I've gotta say I've seen better heads on cabbage. Sorry bout that

Last edited by Hardyreels; 12-29-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 12-29-2009, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Char Fin a Married Wing wet fly

Simply beautiful Ard
I think I can get out of my shelter since you promise not to bombard us
Old 12-29-2009, 05:39 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Ard,

That' a great tie!

I just posted a picture of the wet fly version on the Married Wing Fly thread. It's called the "Fontinalis". It appears in Ray Bergman's book Trout. The derivation of that pattern is really interesting to me. It's on my list of married wing flies to tie up.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:52 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

All I can say is WOW....I hope to become that good someday
Old 12-29-2009, 09:01 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Very nice Ard...Feel free to bombard us with these beautiful creations...

Dan
Old 12-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Ard,

That is a wonderful tye. I really like this one a lot. Great job.

Frank
Old 12-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Great tie Ard! What did you use for the wing? I have Goose shoulder that's not too bad, but I have been looking at dyed Turkey flats which are supposedly easier to marry. Oh, and what did you use for spey hackle?
Old 12-29-2009, 07:32 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I hear, too, Dan.

But, I've also heard that turkey tail feathers are getting harder and harder to come by because the poultry breaders aren't interested in breading broilers with tails; they want as few feathers on their birds as possible.

The net result for fly tyers is that it's getting harder and harder and more and more expensive to source good quality turkey feathers; supply and demand market dynamics are working against us.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:19 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Ard that is a real nice tie love the wing is it swan?

Chris
Old 12-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinselwynNZ View Post
Ard that is a real nice tie love the wing is it swan?

Chris
Oh no! Swan? I was torn between turkey and goose. Now we have swan? To many choices!
No, but seriously folks, have you used Swan? How do you like it?