The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 11:44 PM

mepeterser2451 is on a distinguished road
Default new at this

hey, just got into the hobby. caught my first fish this summer and decided to start tying. My first ones i tied with just hands on huge hooks and look awful so I'll show you some of my first with tools. I'm not very good with proportions and I've got no dry fly hackle but I'd really appreciate advice.

Click the image to open in full size.

the hopper was my third fly tied without a vice or anything. its also been used and was nibbled at a bit. closest of my own flies to catching one.

Last edited by mepeterser2451; 01-19-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:47 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: new at this

Hello and welcome to the group,

You will be pleased to find that the members here speak your language and will be interested in hearing your input. Your flies show great promise.

It is always helpful to tell us where you live and what your primary game fish is. That way we know which dialect of fishing you will be speaking.

Ard
Old 12-31-2009, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

here...pretty nice flies for a first attemptYou'll find lots of patterns from great tiers on the forum...so enjoy yourself
Old 12-31-2009, 05:40 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome mepeterser!

If you can even tie thread evenly on a hook without using a vise, then you'll find that your tying skills will develop exponentially with your "in vise" flies.

Nice flies for first attempts. I think that you'll be getting more than a few nibbles on them - soon.

Pocono
Old 12-31-2009, 08:38 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Looks like you've got a good start on your tying...Welcome to the Forum...

Dan
Old 12-31-2009, 12:01 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Great start mepeterser, you'll find lots of help, opinions and input here so welcome and have fun. If you want, be more specific with tying questions you may have. There are great folks here and have helped me for sure. If you haven't found and read already, Mark (peregrines) keeps a nice running list of tying tips (Fly tying tips sticky).

JJ
Old 12-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Mepete-

Hey, welcome to the forum, and nice job on the flies. If you haven't already, take a browse through some of the posts on here-- there're a lot of posts from folks just getting started, and some great advice on sites for step by steps (like Charlie's FlyBox - Metro Denver, Colorado's Best Fly Fishing Retailer (flyshop) with online Fly Tying Tutorials) advice on materials and books and all kinds of other stuff.

And feel free to ask questions and jump in on threads. There are a lot of very helpful folks here that can get you off to a great start.

As Ard said (Hardyreels) let us know where you are and what fish you're chasing.

mark
Old 12-31-2009, 03:29 PM

thanks you guys! i've been reading around and i expect i'll do alot more. You guys make some really great flies. I'm from Maine and I've been fishing for trout with mostly dry flies. The only thing i've caught so far is what i think was a small fall fish.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:19 PM

here's some of my recent creations. I'm mostly practicing different techniques.

Hook: 12 mustad
Tail: soft hackle & peacock herl butt
Body: Light blue floss (mint flavored) & biot ribbing
Hackle: soft
wings: married crow? & duck

Last edited by mepeterser2451; 01-19-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:38 AM

cicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to behold

-Hi Mepeterser2451, flies was good,but the best was when he showed one by one with a description of the material, then others can try to make this fly as yours.