The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Simple but Traditional Pair

For the New Year I will put forth a pair of salmon flies. Unless there is some objection I will tie this for the swap of flies. Which one will be a matter of choice, you tell me. Yes that means I would like to hear from the swap participants.

By now you have determined that all I tie are salmon flies. There is a reason for this; here in Alaska much of my fishing is for salmon and most of the trout I meet up with are big enough to slam one of these too. So with that in mind here are a pair of highlander styled flies.

Green Highlander Hair Wing;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

This one is dressed out a bit and has an olive front body;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 12-31-2009, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simple but Traditional Pair

Tradition has sometimes ...something good about it
Great tying Ard
Old 12-31-2009, 08:38 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Very pretty flies, I just started tying bucktails, nothing near that pretty, but starting to learn. Figure I eventually need to learn to tie and fish streamers (someting other then buggers). I hope someday I will be able to tie flies that look as nice as the ones you tie. Keep it up, and keep posting those pics!

d
Old 12-31-2009, 10:21 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Great flies Ard. Do you use alot of traditional style flies up there? Usually when I think of Alaska I am thinking Popsicles and large egg patterns. Thanks for sharing!
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: Very nice work indeed!

Larry
Old 12-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Kerry,

I am a hard core Dinosaur. I firmly believe that the answer to the question " What are they taking"? Is; "What I have on".

I used glow yarn eggs when I first started fishing for trout that were following the salmon. These are steelhead and I had a hard time with the concept of Glow Eggs. I grew up dreaming of catching steelhead and salmon on "flies" just like Lee Wulff on the American Sportsman. I even 'riffle hitch' my flies in shallow water and skid them.

No I may not catch as many fish as someone using eggs but I get my share of action. It's all about the presentation and judging the fish right. When the going gets tough I will use a Bunny Fur Comet or my Rainy Day Special, but other than that I fish what I show. Some days I have to work it hard to get em.

Thanks for posting to the thread, do you like this pattern?

You too, Larry thanks

Ard
Old 12-31-2009, 10:54 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I love seeing your Salmon flies. Nice.
Someday I might give the second one a try.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Thank you Jimmie,

Happy New Year!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-31-2009, 11:47 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ard,
Your salmon flies are certainly in a whole different league than Glo balls: Classy! Catching is one thing, but style is another game altogether.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:36 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Ard what is not to like? You do a great job and I am learning a bit about Spey hackles as I have time over the last couple of years. My seal of approval for what it is worth...
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.