The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 03:19 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default A fly and a concept for 2010

Attached is the first fly I tied in 2010, now along with the fly is a picture in the background. I did this yesterday with the bucktails, and thought I would give the fly and the concept a go in 2010, not with everything I tie, but with a creative few.

What I do is find a picture of something I want to tie, RB or Brown trout fry, river Sculpin, etc.. and then try to 'impressionistically" tie a fly that has the colors, gen shape etc. I don't always succeed, but it is fun trying. Hope you all have a great new year.

Click the image to open in full size.

BTW the recipe:

#8 TMC 5263
Black Thread
Opalescent Black Estaz - body
tan bucktail - tail, side wings and top fin.
finish with a Brown wet hackle near the front and whip finish the head.

Dave
Old 01-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: A fly and a concept for 2010

Good looking fly Dave,

I used the idea of copying baby fish to develop the best streamer I ever tied. I hope it works good for you.

Ard
Old 01-01-2010, 06:27 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Nice ty man, let us know how it works
Bear
Old 01-01-2010, 09:55 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Guys, I tied this one to simulate the river sculpin shown in the pic above it (well kinda out of focus), but anyway, I am hoping the wind will die down tonight and I can get on the river tomorrow, scouted a new spot on Thursday, found a couple slow deep pools.....wish me luck.

d
Old 01-02-2010, 08:45 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Good looking fly...Let us know how it works for you...

Dan
Old 01-02-2010, 09:10 PM

Well, I got on the river today for a few hours and nada, not even a hit. Not sure what happened, even one of my favorite spots was barren today. Temps got up to about 40, the water was a bit murky and kind of a cloudy dark tea color, of course that could have been my new amber fishing glasses now that I think about it...(duh!). In any case, tried the new streamer and it looks good in the water, but as I said, no strikes. Not on anything prince, copper john, scud, streamers, etc.

I would feel bad about it but I ran in to three others fishing today and they were getting skunked also, including one who was using worms...

d