The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 10:17 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Another hairwing

I may have posted this here somewhere a while back, I lose my memory every 7 days so there is no hope for me to remember.
I knew a fellow on another online community, who was a Victoria City Police Dog Handler. His dog was Keno and he served the City until he was thriteen. When his owner/handler Wes had to have him put down, he was heart broken and posted quite a long post regarding Keno.
Funny you know that a dog will save your life and be happy to get a scratch for it. A dog will love you unconditionally and ask only the bare minimum from you.
I love dogs, big, small, mean, friendly I have never met one I didn't like.
Wes really hit home with his sorrow so I came up with this pattern in memory of Keno and as a tribute to all of the dogs that put their lives on the line for us. I tied the original with Alsatian hair from a friends dog, though I use other hair for anymore that I tie. I tried to get the colour of the dog correct and the blue peacock crest is representative of the vest that Keno and other dogs wear to work. This is the "Alsatian." And there is a picture of Keno.
Click the image to open in full size.

I tell you all of this, not to try and blow my own horn, but to ask you all to give all of our four legged friend and protectors a moments thought this year, who else will do so much and expect so little?
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:56 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Another hairwing

Dog lover here too, Kerry. Nice tie in memory of Keno.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:14 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

And another dog lover here. Nice fly / great heart, Kerry.

Can't help posting up this one. The theme is definitely different than the one that Kerry started honoring dogs that save lives, but sometimes just the companionship of your dogs goes a long ways towards that same goal.

Our bassets, Daisy and Clementine; ready to do their part in helping out with Christmas dinner!

Pocono
Old 01-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Very unusual fly and touching story Kerry
Allan I thought your dogs had already had dinner and were ready for a good nap
Old 01-02-2010, 09:34 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Dog Lover here too...Kerry great story and great looking fly...

Dan
Old 01-02-2010, 11:21 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Loved the story, and the fly, great job!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:22 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

A dog can be a hero or a great asset in that it makes us all feel special when we come home or even when we wake up in the morning. If your day is made better by having a canine buddy then hey I give those dogs a big thumbs up. A dog is a dog, people are the ones with the issues.
That is a great picture of the two dogs, look like they are well loved to me!
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful fly. What kind of hackle did you use? I have a Rooster tail with color reversed from yours. Out of a pile off feathers, there was just one like it.

I lost my Golden Retriever Speedy to cancer last Nov. 3rd. He was the best dog I ever saw. I would have traded everything I own to save him. I'm not even close to over it.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:39 PM

Hey Dan. I used a Whiting American Brown Lace saddle, I think that is what it was called.
Our dogs become like family members and the loss is very profound. I have an idea of how you feel Dan, but I bet that dog had a great life with you and that is probably more than he ever asked. Got a picture?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:54 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Im a huge fan of DOGs unfortunatly my last dog was lost to cancer he was a member of the family for a long time and is greatly missed

Great fly kerry

Chris