The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Show us your first 2010 fly and tell us why

Thanks. There are some funky shadows from the super macro mode, and
seeing the fly 10X larger than life can be very revealing. I mentioned in another thread that I decided to slow down while tying, and go for quality
over quality. That may change when my wife tosses these flies into bushes
faster than I can tie, however...LOL!

I'm in SE PA, so there are several special regs streams nearby. Ridley Creek
is my current favorite. The local lake (15 minutes drive) just had 3,000 rainbows stocked in October, and I managed to get a few. That lake will be
closed to all fishing during March, but we'll run down to Ridley Creek that
month. The fun never ends.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:25 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road

Didn't take any photos, but the first flies I tied were some #14 San Juan worms, light brown (worm brown). Headed to a well-stocked spring branch in a few days and I figured they'd be appropriate.

Other than that I'm finishing up some swap flies, as well as tying WD-40's, Klinkhammer-type emergers, Copper Johns, and some bigger clousers, as I may be able to go looking for some pickeral in three weeks or so...

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 01-05-2010, 11:10 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Kewl ties Frank, them upright wings kill me, but I love the adams patterns, mostly parachutes so my yes can pick them out, but nothing like a traditional up against the banks in a small or slow section.

San Juan worms oughta work on a stoked stream Fish_gypsy, I know the brown ones work around here when they stock the local ponds and such.

Nice crawlers Sandfly.

Futuramille, when I look for a video to tie to I always see if Davie McPhail has one first, followed by David Cammiss. Then I look for others if these guys have not done it. They explain it so well, I wish they had vids on every fly I wanted to tie.

d
Old 01-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a couple caddis flies I have been working on for the new year:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Click the image to open in full size.

This fly I did for the salmon fly swap, it is called a Glo Getter and was designed by Zach Funkhouser for low light conditions:
Click the image to open in full size.

Larry
Old 01-10-2010, 07:45 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Those'll work, Larry! I like that chamois caddis.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:10 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Really nice ones there Larry. What is the white dubbing you used if you don't mind me asking.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuramille View Post
Really nice ones there Larry. What is the white dubbing you used if you don't mind me asking.
JJ: On the chamois caddis it is a thin piece of chamois, cut in very thin strips using a rotary cutter (like quilters use to cut material). The picture is a little over exposed, it is a light tan color. Buy the thin cheap chamois, it seems to work the best.

Larry
Old 01-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great caddis flies and pics Larry...I can see you manage to use your new camera better than I doyou already know what I think about your salmon fly....MAgnifique!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:06 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

WOW! Beauties Larry, Frank, and everyone. Really enjoyable to see. Larry: that Salmon fly is gorgeous.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:12 PM

cicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to behold

-Larry, very nice, the first flies, which is material to the body.
Salomon-flies great.