The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 10:22 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Show us your first 2010 fly and tell us why

I was thinking it would be cool, well for me anyway, if you would post the first fly you tie in 2010, and along with the post tell us why you made the choice to tie that one. Could be you just ran out and needed more of that pattern, could be that you are getting ready for a trip and this is the hot pattern, or, like my first this year, I was a litle bored, and was trying to build a bucktail that could be an impressionistic imitation of a sculpin. Photo added here again.

Click the image to open in full size.

I would like to hear whats rattling around in your head when you tie that first one this year - just remember to keep it clean .

d
Old 01-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Show us your first 2010 fly and tell us why

Already posted Dave,

Blue Moon; Reason was the second bottle of wine and time on my hands waiting for midnight.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:52 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Sorry for the poor photo. This material is very flash unfriendly.
This evolved from the first one. The detail is difficult to see again because the flash just bounces back off the material and it is a different material under the same naame so the fly looks quite different.
You would think there would be some standardization out there. It drives me nuts to try and find the same colour twice in a row sometimes.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:35 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Apologies in advance for not yet having a photo of my first fly. I'll take one and post it tomorrow.
New Years day I tied some orange Larva Lace, size #10, coastal deer hair head/wing Serendipities. I know they are larger than other Serendipities that I tied. It was the recommended size (actually #8) for this pattern for the Yellowstone area.
The reason that I tied these. Every night I think about what I want to tie the next day. New Years Eve I thought tomorrow I'll tie some Seredipities. The next day I search online or in my books for patterns. Tomorrow I'm going to tie some beadhead Prince Nymphs. I tie everyday I'm at home plus every other Tuesday with a group of guys.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Last edited by Jimmie; 01-03-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 01-03-2010, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Already posted too Davetraditional olive winged 2010
Old 01-03-2010, 07:10 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

It was the Black Widow; a salmon fly already posted on the Hairwing Salmon Fly thread. Reason: it was the first fly that I picked out of Marriner's book: Modern Atlantic Salmon Flies and thought; "now that one will catch fish!"
Old 01-03-2010, 12:14 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

My own version of a Golden Drake. It's a quasi-Wulff style that I tie dries in pretty commonly and didn't really pick up from any one place, but drew inspiration from several places. Lee would roll in his grave if he saw me using synthetic yarn to form the split wings instead of hair. And sometimes I use hackle fiber tails and sometimes I use hair. It depends on the desired properties. The yarn wing is Lafontaine's favorite sparkle yarn. So at least I'm still following in the footsteps of another great. The body dubbing is a custom blend of guard hairs and antron very similar to SLF...a product invented by my good friend Davy Wotton, another great and classic fly tier.

I tied this one because a tying friend tied up some Hex nymphs awhile back that struck up a conversation about Hexagenia mayflies and big dry flies. She's from East Texas and doesn't get to do much trout fishing. So big dry flies floating down a stream to rising trout is foreign to her. So I tied this one for her to see. I actually tied it on December 28th. But it's close enough.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 01-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I posted it in the general fly tying section under married wet wing flies on page 3. It is a Watson's Fancy. I tied it with turkey wings instead of black just so someone could tell me what it's called. It's a Ray Bergman pattern.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:10 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Not a very good image but here it is. Great early season spring creek fly.
Golden Retriever
3xlong #10 streamer hook
5/32 tungston copper bead
Red flat waxed thread
pearl estaz
.025 lead wire
Tan marabou

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:30 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

This was my first fly that I was just playing around with. It has a black pearl chenille, peacock sword throat, ostrich wing, ruffled grouse collar. I have not named it yet, besides you never know if you came up with something or not. The collar should move water, and when it is still, the ostrich should be enticing. I went for an artistic type look as well...it may be a good fly, time will tell.