The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 10:23 PM

vsyogi is on a distinguished road
Default Shrimp flies

This past week I went to Micheal's and picked up some Rexlace. It's pretty much flat vinyl ribbing. They were a dollar each for about 10 yds, not sure if it's cheaper than buying vinyl rib from a fly shop but i like the colors and got them anyway. I got two colors clear with silver flake and a clear pink. I also went to kmart and got gold and metallic blue tinsel for 75 cents which was pretty cool. I tied up these flies with bucktail but want another material with more action, im guessing rabbit fur or something like it? Any suggestions from you all out there?

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:59 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shrimp flies

Quote:
I tied up these flies with bucktail but want another material with more action, im guessing rabbit fur or something like it? Any suggestions from you all out there?
The traditional material is kip (calf tail) but I use craft fur.... something else that you may be able to find at Micheal's.
Craft fur is a great material for all kinds of SW flies. My favorite synthetic.

Good tip on the Rexlace. I'll check it out.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:03 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Hers the pattern i use for the salt very effective in backwater.
Ultra Shrimp Fly Pattern - Striped Bass Fishing, Stripers, Rockfish - StriperSurf.com - Saltwater Inshore and Surf Striped Bass Fishing
Old 01-06-2010, 08:29 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Nice looking flies...The craft stores can provide some very intersting materials...Is the Rex Lace anything like Jelly Cord? For movement have you considered marabou?

Dan
Old 01-06-2010, 11:57 AM

Riptide- I didn't see any craft fur in Micheal's at all... would they have it where all the feathers and chenille are at?

Jimw- Do you notice when you fish the shrimp unweighted if it sinks slowly? Looks interesting i'll give it a try when I pick up epoxy this weekend.

Dan- I looked up jelly cord and it looks a lot like rexlace. I think rexlace is probably stiffer than jelly cord, it's soft enough to hold thread wraps well though. I was thinking of marabou but wasn't sure, it shouldn't fool up the hook if its short enough right?
Old 01-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Good looking flies there. I frequently tie flies similar to that for redfish with a wing made of nothing but Krystal Flash. Trim it into a pear shape and you've got something approximating a spoon fly that's much easier to tie, lighter to cast, and hits the water more delicately as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:39 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

VS
to get the ultra fly to sink slow use a thin wire hook and when you palmer the hackle around the shank use more wraps. wrap the hackle as tight together as you can it will make it fuller and slow down the sink rate. I sometimes tie the same fly but upside down with small lead eyes so it rides hook point up just like a clouser.
Jim
Old 01-06-2010, 03:30 PM

Jimw- when you tie the hook point up does the epoxy ever cause missed hookups?

Bigcliff- Never thought of using krystal flash for the wing. I could use it for "darker" water or cloudy days right? What color flash should I use white maybe?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:02 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Around here , a good percentage of anglers use the General Practitioner salmon fly (commonly just called a GP) as a shrimp imitation in the salt.
A little too flashy for me. Mine look more like a scud
Old 01-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsyogi View Post
Bigcliff- Never thought of using krystal flash for the wing. I could use it for "darker" water or cloudy days right? What color flash should I use white maybe?
I use them in very bright conditions with great success. I tend to use gold or copper for reds. Here's three versions: BC eyes and spanflex legs (caught my first ever black drum), BC eyes, and unweighted-

Our redfish are generally not run off by bright flashy flies, and in fact possibly the most productive is this amazingly flashy thing-

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.