The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 10:46 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default Re: 20 below

Another Davie Mcphail pattern
CDC Bubble midge
Hook - Tiemco #20
Body/dubbing - muskrat
rib - gold foil
wing - gold foil, CDC Bubble, loose CDC
legs - knotted pheasant tail barbs
Click the image to open in full size.

this one was really fun. Mcphail's video on youtube makes it look easy but jeez... nice little midge pattern though.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are tying some awesome looking flies! Thanks for sharing.

JJ: Keep up the good work, you will need the that small stuff your tying on the big Horn this summer!

Larry
Old 01-08-2010, 12:00 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Thanks Larry, I sure am looking forward to that float this summer. It takes me a number of tries on each of these patterns this week before I get one good photo. So much shows up after when looking at the pics and I keep going back...good thing is that each try is a "fishable" unit so I'm packing them away.

I think I enjoy the minimalist tying of these small ones more than the bigger. You only get just so many thread wraps and dubbing wraps, each one must be perfectly prepare and placed. The tension on the thread held constant through the tie...that's the hard part for me. That and the light tension of wrapping such tiny hackle without breaking but still placing and keeping it in place until secure...I'm always forgetting to breath. I find it pleasantly intense and ultimately relaxing.

Biggest source of improvement for me was studying Mcphails youtube vid's. His attention to every move, no nonsense approach...so very inspirational. All are techniques that can be applied no matter what the size hook in front of you.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:03 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice ties!

Here's one of my favorite McPhail ties. Simple and quick.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:45 PM

Well, this week was for smallish flys. I hope the pics were fun to view. To wrap up the week I pulled out some midge pupae patterns and a few small Adams.

Midge pupae
Hook - Tiemco #20
Body - Black 8/0 Danville, Pearl Crystal flash
Thorax - black rabbit
Wing case- Red Crystal flash
Gills - CDC
Click the image to open in full size.

Midge Pupae
Hook - Tiemco #20
Body - Black thread underbody, pearl crystal flash
Rib - Silver super fine wire
Thorax - Black rabbit