The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 08:54 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Some 2010 NZ flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwphoto View Post
nice tiews. unusual looking vise jaws. Can we see a pic of the vise?
There an old pair of hackle plyers that dont hold stuff too well anymore thought rather than toss them out I could use them for photos of smaller flies

Thanks guys

Pocono Ill tie another when I get some more black 6\0 and post a pic for you

I never use to use mice untill I saw a few on this site and thought they must be good if so many people use them

Chris

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Here's a couple of silver pheasant soft hackles

Click the image to open in full size.

Chris
Old 01-10-2010, 11:40 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Those are some great flies Chris. keep'um coming!!

This vidio is amaizing. I believe they are in New Zealand.

This guy is around 14 years old with 9 bass netted out of "little lake haris", I lived lakeside in "howey-in-the-hills" fla. (yup..the name of the town) It was insane the way they would hit this guy just as it "swam" from one pad to the next. I can't say it was highly productive. In late 92 the agricultural industry caused the hydrila field to die...anyway...I'd love to take a trip to New Zealand with this guy and a few of his fuzzy brothers and sisters....

Old 01-11-2010, 05:01 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Thanks JJ

That is a video of NZ the werd looking browns are typical of high country streams and rivers there body out grows there head because there is too much food, and mice are very common in Beech forest in thease areas at the end of summer they have too look for food which means swiming across rivers

That mouse of yours looks real cool I bet there is alot of work in one of them

Chris
Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Those NZ trout look so dang nice!!

Actually, the mouse isn't all that hard to tie. Spinning deer hair does take a bit of practice but the real secret IMO is two fold. 1. How much to add each time and 2. packing it back.

I add 30 -> no more than 40 hairs at a time or a bunch no more than 1/3 in in diameter when pinched between thumb and first two fingers. After stacking, I cut off the pointy ends of the bunch. The thread must be right up against the matterial already placed. Hair spins best on a bare hook so don't dress the hook shank where the deer hair is to be placed. Tie in the deer hair exactly in the middle of the bunch so that both ends, out from the thread, are the same length or close as possible. Two turns of thread around the bunch before applying pressure, then pull and start compression. Knowing when to let go of the hair to let it start spinning is something you "get" after a few tries. As you let go, you make the next two or three thread turns rapidly, keeping ahead of the hair as it spins on the hook shank. Keep applying all the pressure needed to splay the hair (should make a ball shape). After about 4 - 5 thread wraps from when you let go of the hair to allow it to spin, the hair should be well splayed. Pull the hair back with your fingers (leave thread to hang back in the hair ball).

Now what I think is key for me...I use a ball point pen tube but any such thing will work, I place it over the hook eye and down the shank... inside the tube and using the edges of the tube (top and bottom) I jam the hair back as hard as possible (HARD). At last, before removing pressure from the pen tube, grab the hair with idle hand and pull back the hair. Bring thread straight forward and several wraps directly in front of the hair to lock it in place.

I know there are several 'how too's" out there on this.

For the mouse pattern I posted. The mono is 50 lb test and attached near the hook bend and wrapped hard down against the hook (1/4 inch wrapped to hook). At the time I tied this, I was using floss to tie everything. leave the loose mono end then till near the end of the final deer hair bunches. Apply glue or varnesh and before it completely dries, tie in the mouse tail at the same place as the mono (keep this back as much as possible to keep the hook shank clear of any dressing so the deer hair spins).

Spin on the deer hair (change hair colors every two bunches or what ever you like) till about two thirds up the hook shank. Tie in two strips of leather for the ears but tie AT the hook not up the hook, otherwise you'll get a gap in the hair. Then two more hair bunches. loop the mono around to cover the hook barb/point and tie into the hook in front of the dear hair and up to a couple mil behind the hook eye. close thread wraps and then varnesh thread and mono. Complete with hair bunches to the eye.

trim to shape with a new razor blade. On the bottom, trim as close to the hook as possible but not so close you cut the thread.

to finish, trim the leather ears. I coat the bottom of the hair twice with lacquer (just the bottom) to seal the hollow hair tips. The old mouse in the pic used to have two black beads glued on for eyes.

Its not "hard" to do but it takes time in letting the glue or lacquer dry at those steps. If you do three at a time, you will stay busy, working on one while the others dry.

Hope this helps you.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:53 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Chris, nice looking flies... I have to admit I'm a fan of glass beads to...

Dan

Chris, those Silver Pheasant soft hackles are very nice...

Last edited by HuronRiverDan; 01-12-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Chris

Here is a mouse pattern I tied from Nutria fur, it is a really simple tie. You cut the nutria into thin strips using a rotary cutter, picking the thicker fur off the shoulder/back area as it will have the longest guard hairs. You then tie the fur to the hook at the rear with the guard hairs pointing forward (backwards). As you wrap the guard hairs will point aft, you want to slightly overlap on each turn using the opposite hand to hold the fur out of the way as you wrap. This is an old Jack Gartside pattern, you can probably find it by doing a google search. If you are interested in trying some mouse patterns, PM me your address and I will send you a couple to test on your local waters. We would love to see a big NZ trout you caught with a mouse pattern hanging out of his mouth!

Larry

Old 01-12-2010, 04:13 AM

Thanks JJ that is a big help have always dressed the whole shank before Ive started and used way too much hair at once, had trouble with spnning the hair Ill give this method a try

thanks Dan, Ive only just descoverd glass beads in the craft store and there a good addition to alot of patterns

Thanks Larry Ill take the camera and hopefuly it ill be a big one I catch tonight

Chris
Old 01-12-2010, 06:02 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Chris

Here is a mouse pattern I tied from Nutria fur, it is a really simple tie. You cut the nutria into thin strips using a rotary cutter, picking the thicker fur off the shoulder/back area as it will have the longest guard hairs. You then tie the fur to the hook at the rear with the guard hairs pointing forward (backwards). As you wrap the guard hairs will point aft, you want to slightly overlap on each turn using the opposite hand to hold the fur out of the way as you wrap. This is an old Jack Gartside pattern, you can probably find it by doing a google search. If you are interested in trying some mouse patterns, PM me your address and I will send you a couple to test on your local waters. We would love to see a big NZ trout you caught with a mouse pattern hanging out of his mouth!

Larry

Larry,

Nice Mouse pattern. This is the little critter that gives up that interesting textured hair - right?

Home - Nutria.com

Where do you source the hide?

Pocono
Old 01-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Allan: That is correct. The Nutria fur is ideal for a mouse pattern due to the very dense undrfur and the nice long guard hairs giving the pattern a nice shaggy look. Jack Gartside called them Coypu. In fact here is his original pattern if anyone is interested (with the tying instructions).
More Coypu Flies!

Larry
Old 01-13-2010, 08:28 PM

Ive posted some pics of the Selwyn river in cold water flyfishing and will post more as I go to the other spots

Chris