The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 09:30 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Very basic Stonefly nymph

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it.

With all the suggestions, I was able to wrap up this one this morning. It's a sight better than the first one.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks again!

Ant
Old 01-20-2010, 09:06 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Very nice Ant...The only suggestion I have is to shorten the tail a little...

Dan
Old 01-20-2010, 09:35 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Thanks. I wasn't too sure on the length of the tail, and figured I would leave it long and shorten it if I had too, instead of cut it too short and then put it on my pile of "Flies Gone Wrong."
Old 01-20-2010, 08:42 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

Looks alot better Ant good tie!!! Use that as you main fly and add a small egg, or suckerspawn as a dropper about 12-18'' above your stonefly and you will be set for winter/spring steelies.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:52 AM

Thanks Kruggy!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:21 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Ant, what is the tail made of?

Dan
Old 01-21-2010, 10:49 AM

The tail is black rubber legs, the body is just black dubbing and gold thread and the wing casing is pheasant tail. I originally had rubber legs coming out the front as well for antenna but thought it looked kinda silly.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

ant: Very nice, I think you will do well with that pattern!

Larry
Old 01-21-2010, 01:44 PM

Thanks Larry. I'm a big fan of the KISS method (keep it simple stupid.) Now we'll just see if the fish agree with you
Old 01-21-2010, 09:33 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

any, I think if you shorten that tail up a little like Dan suggested you will do fine with it. also, something to think about on some future patterns is maybe mixing in piece of tinsel or flasj accross the wing cast to give it just a little extra bite appeal.

d