The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 09:13 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Very basic Stonefly nymph

Hi All,

I was wondering if this would work for a basic stonefly nymph pattern. All of the patterns that I found online seemed a little out of my league, yet, but I hear that this is a pretty good fly to use in winter in PA. Just wanted everyone's thoughts on this and how to improve this. Thanks!

Anthony

-Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very basic Stonefly nymph

ant: That is a good start, but instead of segmenting the body into two parts try to get more of a smooth tapered look (thick up front and thin in the back). Check out the overall appearance of Charlie Craven's 20 incher and you will see what I mean.
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best Fly Shop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Here is another example showing the tapered look I'm referring to:
Stonefly Nymph Pattern / Kauffman's Stone -- Orvis

http://www.flyworld.com.au/upload/products/a59/a59.jpg

Larry
Old 01-18-2010, 10:17 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

It dont look to bad, i think that I would add a gold bead head on it. Stones work very well for steelies I couldnt tell you how many ive caught on them,good luck!!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:25 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I actually tie mine like a do a GRHE (no bead) with a pheasant tail tail and antennae, black dubbing and thin gold rib. For me the tail and antennae don't last very long - just a few fish, but the fly still fishes well even after they are gone in the semi-fast water below the riffles. I probably need to tie a better fly to simulate the stonefly, or at least find a better tail and antennae material. Maybe some small silly legs, hmmmm.....

Actually, doing a quick picture search, I tie mine similar to the Kaufmans without the wing case, and like I said, I use pheasant tails fibers vice biots. Gonna try a couple with silly legs to see how they do, and, I found this has been done with the kaufmans as well.

d
Old 01-18-2010, 10:43 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

Heres a basic stone that I tie and use. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:06 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys. I never thought to style it like a GRHE. I'm starting to see where I can go with this....

Kruggy, thanks for the photo. What did you use to make the yellow tail bit in the top one?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:10 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Looks like gold goose biot on the first pic.

d
Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

The Feb-Mar stoneflies in PA are actually 3 different species, but the same dressings work for all 3. They're all skinny and black or very dark brown and tend to be most active in the afternoons.

The first ones to pop are usually the Little Black Stoneflies (Capnia species) size 18 in February

Then the Early Black and Early Brown Stones (Taenioptryx species) size 14/16.

As Webrx mentioned, a black or very dark nymph tied like a Hare's Ear would work well.

Here's another style, with some suggestions to make it easier to tie, here's a pic

Little Black Stonefly Nymph

And here's some info for tying:

Hook: nymph 18-14
Thread: black or dark brown 6/0
Bead: I usually use a black 3.0mm (or 7/64") for size 14-16 hooks and 2.5mm (or 3/32") for size 16-18
Weight: 8-10 turns of .015 or .010 diameter non toxic wire (lead substitute)
Tail: Black or dark brown Goose or Turkey Biots-- these can be a bit tricky to tie in. Much easier would be pheasant tail fibers, or a single strand of rubber leg material tied in the middle to make 2 tails, and extending about a hook gap width from the back of the hook.
Abdomen: Black Brassie wire (or black or dark brown dubbing)
Wing case: Black Swiss straw, folded over black dark gray or very dark brown turkey quill slip, or peacock herl, or just omit it entirely
Thorax: Black or very dark brown dubbing
Legs: Just pick out the thorax dubbing with your bodkin
Antennae: I leave them off-- they always seem to end up tied into the tippet knot anyway

If you're not familiar with biots, they're found on the leading edge of primary flight feathers-- typically goose is used, but Turkey are actually longer and a bit easier to work with. I use Turkey Biot Quill feathers--- they have the biots on one side of the stem, and the quill on the other (used for wing cases etc). Goose biots are typically sold as just a strip of the stem, without the quill section.

Turkey Biot Quills:
Anglers Workshop - Turkey Biot Quills

Goose Biots The stem has been split here with just leading edge of the flight feather (the "biot side") showing. To get at the biots you bend the stem (as in the picture) to fan the biots out.
Spirit River: Fly Tying Goose Biots, Dun, 6 in.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mark

Thanks for posting that black stonefly pattern, it looks great!

Larry
Old 01-19-2010, 05:01 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Very simple "stone" I tye is basically a tail; biot, hackle fiber, or rabbit guard hairs. Black or brown dubbing tapered up to the head. Put a bead on as Kruggy mentioned; gold, copper, or black, whatever color you like or have available. I tye them in 10, 12, 14, and sometimes 16.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Simple fly, very productive...

Dan