The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Icelandic sheep half 'n half tube.

I went to Duluth and spey cast the mouths of the French and the Lester. No luck, but I went to a fly shop there, and found several colors of icelandic sheep. I had not used it before, but will a bunch in the future. They don't tell you how long it is in catalogs, but it is at least 6" long. It is curley at the base and has some under fur which makes it tie with a very nice minnow shape. It is very soft and wiggles really nice. Great motion. I did this half 'n half with grizzly hackle I dyed with lemon lime Kool-Aid, a body of rainbow pearl krystal flash. The rest is Icelandic sheep and pearl mirror krinkle flash. It is on a tube made from que tip (generic from Walmart) cotton swab with medium lead hour glass eyes painted with pro-tec powder paint.

Oh, and I only fished about an hour and a half before the wind and the ice on my rod drove me off. Already sick of winter.
Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

While I'm at it, the guy that owns the fly shop was doing Bass flies by stacking deer hair. I have not ever seen anyone do a better job at it. I don't buy flies as a general rule, but I bought this one. The guy is really good at it. His name is John Fehnel and he owns the Great Lakes Fly Co.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Guest1; 01-22-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: correct a spellin' goof.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Icelandic sheep half 'n half tube.

Hi Dan,

That really is a nice tye with the deer hair. You should get him to join NAFFF.

Frank
Old 01-22-2010, 03:22 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I like the tube fly, should look great in the water...

Dan
Old 01-22-2010, 03:52 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

there some nice flies i hope to be able to tie some like them one day

vince
Old 01-22-2010, 06:28 PM

Offshore is on a distinguished road

Nice tube... Icelandic sheep is much underated... comb out the under fur and use as dubbing!

BUG_BOND
Old 01-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan: That is a very interesting look the Icelandic sheep gives the tube, pretty nice looking! Like you said, I bet it moves great in the water.

Larry
Old 01-26-2010, 02:27 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I found a set of videos that teach stacking deer hair on you tube. I've done three flies and by the third one have the hair as tight as the fly in the picture. The color in the pattern drifts around a bit, but I think a couple dozen more flies and I'll have it. If any of you are interested in looking at the videos, it's a series called "tying a Dahlberg diver". If anyone can't find it I'll post the second video on here. The second is the one that starts showing stacking and flairing. The first shows the tail and spinning. It's not as hard as it looks.