The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 08:09 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default 2010 killer Smallie Zonker

I need you help I have just constructed my 2010 killer smallie zonker. I need to know do you like it with eyes and with out eyes.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2010 killer Smallie Zonker

I'm pretty sure it will catch fish either way. I use a fly that clobbers 'em called a funny bunny emerald shiner that's alot like your fly. Technically it's a Steelhead fly, but it clobbers the Smallies. It's white rabbit with a chartreuse crystal dubbing head and no eyes. Lack of eyes has not stopped a fish from slamming it so far.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:37 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I love it!! You need to ask the smallies
Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Both versions look great - not sure the fish will care either way!

Just a side note: you had asked about tube flies in a previous thread: your killer smallie zonker should be really easy to tie on a tube.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

smallieman: NIce looking zonker, I like them both, but don't really know if the fish will care!

Larry
Old 01-25-2010, 11:59 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I like them both. Baitfish typically have large eyes, but I think either will work well.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:57 AM

Derek Purkiss is on a distinguished road

Is the version with eyes weighted? Looks like it will float, which may be a good thing if fished on a sinking line..

-- Tom
Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

FWIW streamers with red eyes have been taking way more fish [trout] than streamers without around here this winter.
Like this one:
Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Smallie, I like them both, but would go with the second one; I think those eyes on the first would be gone pretty quickly. The only change to the second version would be black or red eyes...Would be a nice tye on a tube...

Dan
Old 01-26-2010, 02:30 PM

trident is on a distinguished road

I always like to put eyes on my flies. I just like the look of them it completes the effort in my head.

Good job on that one, i'll post my version in a day or so.