The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 08:25 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wet Coachmen

Thanks for the comments guys; they were fun to tie up.

My favorite of the bunch is still the original Leadwing Coachman. It makes use of a lot of one of my three favorite natural materials; peacock herl. I think that p-herl is tough to beat in the water for both subtle body movement and reflection. I've had good luck with this fly; when I fish it right, which for me is with something like a "Leisenring lift" at different points during a good dead drift.

My other two favorite materials are Marabou (pulsating motion) and Polar Bear hair (translucent; almost transparent when wet). Someday, I'll try to work out a pattern that combines all three of those materials - and you know, as a reward for my efforts, I'll probably end up with a fly that won't catch fish!