The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default The Draper Stone

I did a search to make sure I was not double posting, though I did post a couple of these steps to show how you add weight to a Draper hook.
Since they are no longer manufactured it is not easy to find them, though I do have a source and am willing to share it with anyone who is looking for some. I am posting this mainly because I have sent some out to a couple of people and it may prove useful.
The Draper hook was made by Partridge up until I think Mustad bought them, then it was discontinued, yet for giving a stone nymph that flat wide look it was perfect.
I used to wrap lead around it, but in my efforts to minimize my use of that material I adapted tungsten impregnated rubber sheeting to the pattern.
So again I hope I have not double posted this, but then I can always claim I am sinking into my dotage I suppose.

So this is the hook, you will see the thread started on it. I usually gave it a lightClick the image to open in full size. swipe of head cement or clear nail polish to keep the thread from slipping.

Then I would give the web of thread a wipe with the clear polish brush and start to wrap on a thin strip of the sheet material. This stuff is soft, so don't pull too hard on the thread.
Click the image to open in full size.

When done you can trim off excess material and either add another layer or give the whole thing another shot of clear nail polish to fix it in place.

Dub a small bit of your golden stone dubbing to cover the tip of the frame then tie in two biots to form the "tail."

Now tie in your amber swannundaze, v-rib or larva lace as shown

So now you have this:

Now start to dub your underbody.

Finish up here.

Now wrap your rib material forward. Allow the dubbing to stick out between wraps.
So it looks like this
Now dub up past the shoulders of the frame.

The take your pre-burnt church window feather (ringneck pheasant).

Two steps here. Tie in the wingcase, then a set of rubber legs on each side, sorry I am keeping my post a bit short. The back legs are fine where they are, but because I only use two ;eggs on each side I want to dub a bit more between the fro and back pointing legs.
Tie in another wingcase and use the wraps to help hold the front pointing legs in their position. Now tie in your biots/antennae and then dub a bit over the whole thing to cover your wraps.

From the underside it should look like this.
I use a brush to rough up the dubbing.

Should look like this from the top.
If you want more rubber legs, you can tie in the first set, then dub over your thread and leave them where they are, then tie in your second set just before tying iin your second wingcase. It is just a matter of spacing.
I wrap a bit of a collar just back of the head to hide my whip finish, rather than finishing right behind the antennae.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:23 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: The Draper Stone

Nicely done Kerry...

Dan
Old 02-02-2010, 05:18 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Very nice!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Very Cool fly K man
Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Thanks! I use Ronn Lucas iridescent Golden Stone dubbing, but Ronn is no longer in the business of making it so I am hoarding the last bit I have, but you could always change colours to match the local bugs.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

It is a keeper for sure. I came across another Stone pattern. I tied a bunch up for a swap I am in, but I tied a few extra to try on the Provo hopefully this week.

It is a soft-hackle stone. Seems like it will work.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Kerry: Very nice, I really like the look the Draper hook adds to the stonefly!

Larry
Old 02-03-2010, 12:46 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Nice "Golden Stone" Kerry. I like that a lot. Those hooks give a realistic shape.
Ironically, I just went to my tying gurus house yesterday so he could show me how to tie a golden stone. I told Larry what he used for dubbing. He used indoor/outdoor carpet cut and blended. It looked good.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:37 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Very Nice Kerry the step by step was good too

Chris
Old 02-03-2010, 02:13 AM

Thanks again. Jimmie this dubbing was made of a mix of 12 different colours, but the material was similar to carpet fibres.
The hook gives it great shape but alas there is only one place left to find a good stock of them. I guess all good things come to an end...