The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 05:48 PM

Offshore is on a distinguished road
Default Simpleclone & Clouser with a twist

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I read Steve Farrar's SBS on the Simpleclone which was I believe a rework of Bob Popovic's Siliclone... which has now been reworked by Bob as Flex Fleye... that's a mouthful!

OK... Icelandic fleece (white) as a core and reverse tie it per Steve's instructions... then orange bucktail overwing and yellow underwing reverse tie and Steve Farrar's Orange Blend along the flanks again reverse tie... biro over the end and loose tie to keep the shape.... remove biro and apply Bug-Bond... and "Yes" it ain't the greatest tie... it is the first one, so excuse me, please... BUT you can squeeze the heck out of it and it'll come back for more! Doesn't crack or split!! Will be tested on a pike soon!

The Clouser is on a tube the difference here is I've used minimal thread to tie it - in fact some very fine white spectra. First off get the DIY beadchain and set it on the tube and put a drop of Bug-Bond over the centre of the chain and cure it... that is now solid to the tube... no chasing the eyes around the tube and trying to position them! A 3 second cure is all it takes! The body is next, Bug-Bond the Mylar to the tube and then wrap to the eyes... go on tidy in so used the spectra! Now... Bug-Bond over the mylar... a rotary vice helps here as you can spin the vice and you have an even coating... UV on and job done...

Catch in the white slinky as the under wing... drop of Bug-Bond and that's on... Over wing was chartreuse Turrell's crinkly something or other and drop of Bug-Bond... job done... again the prototype fly and the blob was a wee bit bigger than I wanted as I was trying to kick up the wing... I'll also go slinky fibre for the over wing next time... Pink tag is next... and finally because those beadchain eyes are likely to rust in the salt stuff I've given them an encapsulation with Bug-Bond... and you can't twist the eyes off the tube... and the bonding is discrete.

So what were you doing this evening?

BUG_BOND