The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 01:09 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road
Default A couple black ants

I'll preface it with this: beginner tyer... this is my second fly and I see a few mistakes (butt too small on first ant as one)... I'm posting up these picks because I'd like to get some feedback on how I might improve the fly... working out of a couple books right now, but mostly went with what I expect an ant to look like here...

First Ant with a few mistakes - hook sz. 12, black thread, grizzly hackle

Click the image to open in full size.

Second Ant a little better - same as above

Thanks for any feedback...

- Justin
Old 02-18-2010, 01:31 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: A couple black ants

They are better than the ants I tryed when I started
Try dubbing the body and dont tie around the bend of the of the hook so far.
The body looks good shape wise try a smaller hackle that way it will float better
for the head try 2 turns and whip finnish (if you dont whip finnish 2-3 half hitches with super glue are fine)

over all they are good for your second flies

Chris
Old 02-18-2010, 01:37 AM

Thanks Chris for the tips... I thought I went a little too much into the bend of the hook. What's the advantage to dubbing the body? Less material? Can I trim the hackle or should I just use a smaller feather? I'll give em another go and see what I come up with... thanks again.

- Justin

Last edited by simmons_j_m; 02-18-2010 at 01:40 AM. Reason: one more question...
Old 02-18-2010, 01:56 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Dubbing the body will use less thread, look better and can help with floating

Using the smaller feather is better than cutting floating hackle

Chris
Old 02-18-2010, 08:09 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Looking good for your first ants. As Chris said try tying some with dubbing, they'll float better then the thread bodies. Go with a smaller hackle. You may want to try some foam or deer hair for different versions of your ants...Keep at it you're doing very good...

Dan
Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

nothing more I can add other than to say you certainly have what's needed to tie flies. Have fun and savor the first time you land a fish on one of your own.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:31 AM

Thanks guys for the encouraging words... I went ahead and tried a dubbed body and shortened up the hackle... let me know what you think.

sz 12, black dubbing body, grizzly hackle.

sz 12, black dubbing body, med. krystal brown hackle

I'm hoping these things fish well... I got an idea on a nice little section of river for em!

- Justin
Old 02-19-2010, 02:59 AM

Great improvement those will float very well and still have a good shape should catch a fish too
Do you have finer dubbing?
The hackle size is much better

Chris
Old 02-19-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinselwynNZ View Post
Great improvement those will float very well and still have a good shape should catch a fish too
Do you have finer dubbing?
The hackle size is much better

Chris
Thanks Chris. I was given all my supplies by a friend who quit tying, so that is the only black dubbing I have. There are different degrees of fineness? I haven't looked at materials in the shop too much, but I'll keep my eye out for finer material. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons_j_m View Post
Thanks Chris. I was given all my supplies by a friend who quit tying, so that is the only black dubbing I have. There are different degrees of fineness? I haven't looked at materials in the shop too much, but I'll keep my eye out for finer material. Thanks for the heads up.
Justin Ill pm some pics to you of the basics for dubbing materials not all materials you need too buy

Check the fly tying Faq Fly Tying FAQ - The North American Fly Fishing Forum

and peregrines stickey Fly Tying Tips Sticky check this one first

Theres some good info there

Chris

Last edited by ChrisinselwynNZ; 02-19-2010 at 04:17 AM. Reason: oops add stuff