The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: For your review (please be critical)

They're very good ties for a beginner, and easily better than my early attempts at small stuff. You asked for critiques, so I'll offer what little there is to cite.

On the bee- to me that middle section looks like an ideal spot for a few wraps of black dry fly hackle. Personally, I'd do that and skip the (deer hair?) legs up front, cuz its likely easier and will aid with flotation as well. The wing looks to be a combo of some sort of dubbing and a few strands of midge flash. I've attempted wings on foam flies with dubbing like that, and they frequently get water logged and cause the thing to flop over onto its side, so I'd recommend just using the flash. Also, you might want some sort of bright indicator on such a dark fly. A tiny square of white foam added to the head via a tiny dot of superglue would achieve that.

All that said, if it works, stick with it.

On the soft hackle, the only issue I see is that you've got more guard hairs sticking out of the rear of the body than the front. Both juvenile caddis and mayflies would have their legs sticking out of the front of the body, and a smoother abdomen, so you might trim the hairs towards the bend and pick some out at the front.

On the micro may, I'd stick a bigger bead on it, and use a different dubbing. The air trapping nature of cdc means that it cancels out some of the weight you're adding to it to get it down. Straight antron dubbing would be my pick.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:16 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Hey Duck. I've got no advice but it seems that your getting some really good input. I just jumped on to say that we've been tying about the same length of time and I'd be proud to put those flies in my fly box. Nice. May have to tie up some of those March Browns.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dorian: Nice work!

Larry
Old 02-22-2010, 09:51 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Just remember, pretty flies catch fishermen, ugly flies catch fish.
Ever noticed the more beat up the fly is the more fish you catch until it's just a thread, feather and hook?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:37 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Just remember, pretty flies catch fishermen, ugly flies catch fish.
Ever noticed the more beat up the fly is the more fish you catch until it's just a thread, feather and hook?
Hey! That's exactly what I was going to post. Those flies will catch fish,
no problem. If you want to show them off as works of tying art, they could
use some tweaking....maybe. I suppose the bee would look nicer with a
better foward section. Pull the front and rear halves closer together, or
something. I don't think the fish will give a hoot, however.