The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 12:11 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default For your review (please be critical)

I've never showed anybody my flies before so I am anxious to see what so many great tiers on this forum think of mine. Please be critical, I put them on here so I can get better with your help!

Click the image to open in full size.

I uploaded a bunch more pics of flies to an album and if I get some response on this thread, I'll load another one up!

The last fly is what I call a micro may. They are very small (18 and smaller) flies that I tie real heavy and slim to get down fast. I usually incorporate some type of hotspot in them and use them for czech style nymphing, the collars are usually cdc dubbing. I have good success with them. Inspired by Loren Williams.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:17 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road
Default Re: For your review (please be critical)

They look pretty good to me DD... thanks for posting up your pics, it helps begginning tyers, like myself, to have something to shoot for.

- Justin
Old 02-22-2010, 12:21 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Thanks Justin! You'll be a great tier in no time if you stick at it. I really still consider myself a beginner too. I've only been tying for a year and a half or so, but I do have the advantage of a lot of great tiers I can learn from real close to me. Every Sat. morning during the winter my local fly shop has a tying demo where famous regional tyers tie for a few hours. It is very hands on and I have learned a ton from that.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:27 AM

That's awesome DD... I'm gonna attempt to get to FF club that does tying workshops here in town. Problem is I can't get into the club meetings due to prior arrangments. Trying to teach myself has it's disadvantages, but it's nice to be able to do in the comfort of my living room while watching some Olympics hockey...

How often do you tie? I'm assuming it gets easier as the weeks go by with practice and learning how to manipulate materials...

BTW, what is that second fly? Looks to be near (a rung or two up) my level.

- Justin

Last edited by simmons_j_m; 02-22-2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: additional question...
Old 02-22-2010, 12:35 AM

Oh, in the winter I tie in streaks. I might tie for a week straight, a dozen or so a day. I tie once the kids are in bed so I never get started till late at night. But then I might not tie for a few weeks. Sometimes I have a hard time getting motivated to tie, other times I can't stop!

The second pattern is a pretty traditional pattern called a March Brown Spider (I believe...), basically you use orange thread, hare's ear for the body, you can rib with either the tag end of the orange thread itself or a wire (I used the wire), tie in a soft hackle and finish with an orange head. In my opinion it is one of the greatest searching patterns. I've caught a few fish with those I'll tie one on with confidence if I can't figure out the bug situation. You should try some, you'll enjoy tying them!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post
The second pattern is a pretty traditional pattern called a March Brown Spider (I believe...), basically you use orange thread, hare's ear for the body, you can rib with either the tag end of the orange thread itself or a wire (I used the wire), tie in a soft hackle and finish with an orange head. In my opinion it is one of the greatest searching patterns. I've caught a few fish with those I'll tie one on with confidence if I can't figure out the bug situation. You should try some, you'll enjoy tying them!
Is the soft hackle partridge? I'll pick some up next time I'm at the shop. Did you tie it on a standard nymph hook?

Thanks for your help.

- Justin
Old 02-22-2010, 12:45 AM

Yep standard nymph hook. For the hackle I actually used Whiting Brahma Hen. It is an excellent partridge substitute and very easy to work with, very affordable also. Tie them in sizes 12-16.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:56 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

the bee could use a little work, area where you tie in wing and the head is bunched, hard to tie a tippet to.
The soft hackle is very nice, could start back on hook shank a wee bit more (over top of barb) other wise very nice.
The midge looks good except for the tail, too long shorten it by 2/3, midges have almost no tail and most times not just an appendage or gills there.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-22-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
the bee could use a little work, area where you tie in wing and the head is bunched, hard to tie a tippet to.
The soft hackle is very nice, could start back on hook shank a wee bit more (over top of barb) other wise very nice.
The midge looks good except for the tail, too long shorten it by 2/3, midges have almost no tail and most times not just an appendage or gills there.
Thanks Sandfly, I appreciate your input. The last fly that you were critiquing as a midge is actually a very small mayfly nymph, thus the tails and soft hackle collar. Easy mistake though especially in that small of a size, and if the fish take it for a midge, I'm still willing to catch them!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice flies,you were wrong not to show them...nothing important to add to Sandfly's good advice...maybe a copper bead instead of the silver one...