The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 12:11 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road
Default Still practicing

Still trying to get to know the materials to tie flies... here are a couple experiments that maybe you can tell me might be fish-able (trout streams/rivers in Sierras)...

Wooly Bugger - sz 10, body: wrapped in peacock herl, wing/legs: peacock herl, collar: olive dubbing, bead head

Click the image to open in full size.

EZ Nymph - size 12, body: pheasant tail, wing/legs: pheasant tail, collar: tan dubbing, bead head

Click the image to open in full size.

Hope these are showing some improvement of technique... been tying a few flies every night for practice.

- Justin
Old 02-24-2010, 04:11 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Still practicing

Justin
They are geting better that EZnymph looks prity good and fishable
Have too admit I dont realy use buggers just never got round to trying them

Chris
Old 02-24-2010, 06:00 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

have you done a standard bugger with maribou, chenille, and saddle hackle.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-24-2010, 07:42 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Good flies man, The top one is diffrenet but it ought to catch a fish. The second one is pretty good, the bead looks a little big for the hook and I would trim the gill feathers back some, but all in all a good job.
Bear
Old 02-24-2010, 08:25 AM

Sandfly, Yea... I made a couple with the chenille... I was just playing with the herl... I don't know enough about how materials act when being tied, wrapped, bent ect so I wanted to see how it would work... by fluffing and wrapping 10 (ish) strands of herl, it acts a lot like chenille except maybe a little stiffer.

Arfishinbear, the bead is a 1/8 IIRC... the pkg said sz 10-12 hooks. Should the beads sit tight on the shank before tying in materials? This was pretty loose until I butted the herl up to it and tied it in.

Thanks guys... I just hope there is improvement between flies, that is my one goal for now. Practice, practice, practice... now if I could just get to bed before midnight

- Justin
Old 02-24-2010, 10:04 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

I think they look fine, Justin. I can tell you that bugger will catch something- Just like a 'regular' bugger, I'd think that could be fished with a streamer retrieve or a slow leach retrieve on the bottom.

-- You better put a patent on that one. (I see myself stealing your idea sometime today.)
Old 02-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
I think they look fine, Justin. I can tell you that bugger will catch something- Just like a 'regular' bugger, I'd think that could be fished with a streamer retrieve or a slow leach retrieve on the bottom.

-- You better put a patent on that one. (I see myself stealing your idea sometime today.)
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with

- Justin
Old 02-26-2010, 04:37 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
Good flies man, The top one is diffrenet but it ought to catch a fish. The second one is pretty good, the bead looks a little big for the hook and I would trim the gill feathers back some, but all in all a good job.
Bear
Sorry man, the pic just looked like the bead was a little big, its hard to see things in a pic sometimes, great job
Bear
Old 02-27-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
Sorry man, the pic just looked like the bead was a little big, its hard to see things in a pic sometimes, great job
Bear
No offense taken... I thought the same thing after looking at it again. One thing I'm learning when tying is that it is all about proportions, I might kick down a size and try it again to see how it looks. I welcome all comments... especially the ones that will make me better.

- Justin