The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 07:42 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: This is my Adams

Nice looking fly...Feel free to send any extras my way...

Dan
Old 03-02-2010, 03:52 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Nice tie.

For some reason, I thought I would open this up and it would say, "This is my Adams. There are many like it, but this one is mine." Obscure movie reference.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:13 PM

mepeterser2451 is on a distinguished road

that looks awesome
Old 09-23-2010, 05:05 AM

grenadier is on a distinguished road

nice fly sir, but not a true adams sorry to say, but looks good with good form and shape, maybe a shorter shank hook and finish closer to the eye and a bit more pronounced in the body shape, keep up the good work though.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:34 AM

RayMO is on a distinguished road

ditto what everyone else said, very nice.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I thought that this was going to be followed up with

"there are many like it, but this one is mine."
Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadier View Post
nice fly sir, but not a true adams sorry to say, but looks good with good form and shape, maybe a shorter shank hook and finish closer to the eye and a bit more pronounced in the body shape, keep up the good work though.
grenadier- welcome to the forum. Looking forward to a new thread with examples of your flies since you obviously tie. Not sure what your definition of "a true Adams" is, (not that fly Slinger represented it as any thing but his version) but I would suggest most of us know the Adams in its modern incarnation, rather than it's original incarnation as a delta wing caddis tie if that's what you're referring to.

I would venture to say that most of us think of an Adams with its modern dressing as Fly Slinger tied it:

std dry fly hook
mixed grizz and brown hackle collar and tail
dubbed muskrat body
upright grizz hackle tip wings

Fly Slinger, your fly is very well proportioned with a nice taper to the body, and well tied. Excellent job.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:55 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

FlySlinger,you remind me of this great patern...I will do on or two for tomorow
Old 10-04-2010, 09:32 AM

grenadier is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=peregrines;141838]ms" most of us know the Adams in its modern incarnation, rather than it's original incarnation as a delta wing caddis tie if that's what you're referring to.

I would venture to say that most of us think of an Adams with its modern dressing as Fly Slinger tied it:

std dry fly hook
mixed grizz and brown hackle collar and tail
dubbed muskrat body
upright grizz hackle tip wings
QUOTE]

Thank you for the , but my observations are on the wording of "my Adams" if we are to be politically correct it should have been "this is a variation of my Adams" as i see so many times on all these type of forums my grey wolf, my wickams fancy etc, etc and it is without a doubt a variation of the true versions of the fly/flies as an Adams is an Adams, a sawyers ptn is a sawyers ptn etc, etc.
His fly is, of course, a lovely looking fly pattern and pretty well tied, but as you may not know the original 'Adams' was used to represent a spinner/ dun of the Mayfly species after it had struggled from its nymphal shuck.

original tying is;
Hook -10-20
Thread - Black
Tail - brown & grizle cock hackle fibres
Body - GREY fur
Wing - two grizzle hackle points tied upright
Hackle - brown & grizzle cock hackles

I, however, have tied a variation of an emerging Adams which i used on many of our small brooks and streams to great effect when all else failed as the Adams can (in very small versions) represent a number of light bodied insects on the water and fool many a weiry old trout, as, unlike yourselves, our insect life on rivers/ brooks/ streams is quite small with the exception of the Mayfly and so many of our dry fly patterns generally start at a size 12/14 up to 22's in some cases.
bj
Old 10-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Grenadier

Here's an interesting article on the origin of the Adams:

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hat...tom-deschaine/