The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:00 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default Amber Scud

I've been working on this pattern for a week or so. I have it down to about 15 minutes per. You can change the material to change color or course or simply change the color of the crystal flash. The pic doesn't show that but its nice and bright straight down the back.

Mustad #12 dryfly hook
antenae - Tan CDC & CDL
eyes - melted 20lb trilene
underbody - tan hares mask faded to grey HM
- perl flash down back
Legs - brown hackle (also creates body sections)
case - hot glue (applied Tob1 style)

notes - trim hackle close to body from hook eye to 1/3 shank. After applying hot glue, pull down around sides and then trim to taper.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:15 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Amber Scud

Nice and fifteen minutes well done

Chris
Old 03-03-2010, 09:16 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Nice looking fly...

Dan
Old 03-03-2010, 10:26 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Neat fly. Took me a few visits to see that it was tied backwards (the right way) on the hook.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:34 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

LOL, it certainly is unorthidox as far as "scud" patterns go. Ugly little fly but buggy looking.

I do tye the normal way and use a stretchy clear material pulled over.
here is my normal tye:

But I want something more.... Unless the fly is sitting on the bottom, a scud swims needle straight and a straight shank hook is better than a curved "scud" hook or so I've read. So I'm working on the swiming scuds using some different ingredients. The hot glue hardens too quickly to get the segmentation done with a wire rib so I've got a couple other tricks I want to try before going to apoxy.

I know...why not just use the pull over matterial and be done... I like trying new stuff I guess. I'll keep trying and sharing the results here. Hopefully provide some info and entertainment
Old 03-05-2010, 08:59 AM

OK, I've worn out the idea and the latest take segnificantly more time but let me know what you think please. I guess the fish will be the true judges

8 turns lead wire over Mustad #12 dry fly hook
Mallard flank
Red Crystal flash underbody
10lb test trilene wrapped up shank
Badger hackle palmered between trilene wraps
green Crystal flash pulled over
Hot glue casing

thanks all for looking and for your comments.