The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 03:15 AM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough
Default The UK Devon Half Stone

Hi All,
This pattern is an old traditional invented in the county of Devon, UK to represent the olive.
It is often used as a wet pattern, very productive fished as a middle dropper on a team of 3, but works equally well as a dry, in sizes 14-18.

I tied the fly in the video on a recent visit to South Africa when i was invited to the Durban Flyters evening, i was expecting perhaps 6 tyers to arrive so was a little surprised when over 30 arrived, word had got around they had a visitor from the UK!
Apart from the shock of tying in front of so many keen fly fishermen, the only problem i had was the tying thread, it was 3/0 which is way to thick for a dry fly, but still i made do.
Could it be on a par with the success of the American Adams?!

Hook: Orvis extra fine dry fly size 14
Tail: Medium dun fibres from a hen or poor quality cock hackle.
Body: Rear 2/3 yellow floss front 1/3rd Orvis Dly Fly Adams spectrablend, It should be mole but i couldn't get my hand's on enough to distribute to all the tyers.
Hackle: Orvis Keough master grade medium dun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iCOeClzsrA]YouTube - Half Stone

Cheers
Richard
Old 04-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The UK Devon Half Stone

Hi Richard,

The video didn't run well on my PC. Do you have just a picture of the fly to post? I have never considered S. Africa as a fly fishing destination, what are the people fishing for there?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-22-2011, 03:41 AM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Richard,

The video didn't run well on my PC. Do you have just a picture of the fly to post? I have never considered S. Africa as a fly fishing destination, what are the people fishing for there?

Ard

Click the image to open in full size.
hope that helps, by the way the head is way too big, try 8/0 thread.
the target fish were Yellowfish in South Africa - Catch Yellow Fever - This highly contagious southern yellow fever is spread by waterborne organisms of the Labeo group of fishes commonly known as - Global FlyFisher and rainbow mainly, or at least they would have been if the rivers hadn't been in flood!
but still we had a successful hunt.
by the way, if you go i suggest you go with an organised trip or with a local, otherwise i wouldn't go, in my opinion its a dangerous country unless you know what the dangers are!
give me Montana any day!
cheers
richard
Old 04-22-2011, 06:35 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The UK Devon Half Stone

Good morning Richard!

Odd that Ard had a play-back problem; the link/video works just fine on my lap top.

Go figure?

Fred
Old 04-22-2011, 01:51 PM

Hello Fred!
Oh well it doesn't matter, hopefully the picture will answer the question.
Cheers
Richard
Old 04-22-2011, 02:01 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Roger that!

fae
Old 04-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The picture and your explanation of what you were targeting were fine Richard thank you for putting it up. I may not ever get to S. Africa as I have a great deal of exploring to do where I am at but it does sound like an adventure. Trout in Africa, now that's a thought isn't it........... Anyway, thanks for the fly,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-22-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
The picture and your explanation of what you were targeting were fine Richard thank you for putting it up. I may not ever get to S. Africa as I have a great deal of exploring to do where I am at but it does sound like an adventure. Trout in Africa, now that's a thought isn't it........... Anyway, thanks for the fly,

Ard
Hi Ard,
Alaska is on my list to, but i am also attracted to Fred's neck of the woods, and i must connect with a bonefish one day, oh and New Zealand, oh and Argentina and........the list just gets longer!
Cheers
Richard