The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 12:20 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default egg patterns for steelhead

Tied up some estaz eggs in orange, and glo eggs in orange with peach dot, oregon cheese,pink, chartreuse and 2 plain "egg" colored and 2 "egg" with some cherise for a blood dot! also made another clown egg from some glow yarn materials I had left over from last time tying them! this warm weather got me all excited about fishing so I am getting ready! Looked at the forums and saw I caught my 1st spring steel of the year March 17 of 09 and the weather is warming um just about the same as last year! we got high 40's and even a 50 this week! almost done with tying single eggs for now since I have plenty that I have tied before also. gonna tie up a few more natural colored eggs patterns tho and then its crystal meth spawn tying time and then stonefly nymphs! will make some of those meth spawns in pearl, pink, orange and chartruese and the stones in black. oh btw these are all size 12 scud hooks for single eggs, meth patterns and sucker spawn will be on size 10 scuds. stones will be on size 12 and 10 nymph hooks
Click the image to open in full size.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:21 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Re: egg patterns for steelhead

nice flys! i can tie about 8 eggs and only get one that i am happy with. theyre a tricky little fly
Old 03-10-2010, 04:03 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

To me they are very easy to tie. everyone says they are hard. I used this youtube video and its so simple. here it is.
basically just take 1 strand of any color egg yarn you want and set it center on top of your scud hook like he shows. then just make 2 or 3 wraps of thread right on top of eachother. then make the cross wraps like he shows, then before you half hitch and whip finish and cut of your thread and all that cut your egg material and fluff it around the shank like said and see how it looks and it should be decent, if you are satisfied then finish it up. then you can fine trim them to be perfectly round. takes me like 1 or 2 minute to tie it finish it and make it perfectly round. also if you want a blood dot on your egg take your 1 strand of main color and then take another stand of the blood dot color you want and seperate the blood color to be a thinner piece and set it right on top of your main color and just do follow the video and you will get a blood dot egg. if you want a clown egg divide a bunch of strands of diff egg materials to smaller sizes put them all together and follow this video and you get a clown egg. hope this helps everyone.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:52 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

what kind of fly foam do you use? cause i got some Wapsi egg foam and i personally cant get it to do that the bottom of the egg you can see right to the shank even if i do as few wraps of thread as possible... is mc fly foam better?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:33 PM

after you cut the egg to size did you fluff it around the hook shank? While still in the vise I rub the egg between my thumb and index fingers until its pretty round. It should cover the bottom of the shank enough then. I just use whatever yarn they have at the shop. I have "Atlas Glow Yarn" and "The Bug Shop" glo bug yarn, both work and catch fish and are basically the same tho bug shops just a lil thicker yarn . never tried wapsi before I don't think. I also have some mcfly foam clown egg pack and that works pretty good too to make the round eggs but its really spongy type material compared to the basic glo yarn. You could give that a try if you are having trouble. Remember you can always cut the yarn off and start the fly over so its no big deal if ya mess up. you only waste a couple wraps of thread and a lil piece of glo yarn and that is pretty cheap and you get a butt load

Old 03-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

McFly: Great looking egg patterns, I sure hope you have the same good luck with them that you did last year!

Larry
Old 03-10-2010, 11:18 PM

ya I hope so man! Just waiting for the rivers to come down so I can go try them out! all the snow melted so the rivers went up. I can't wait!!! keep everyone posted with pix like always!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 PM

heres a couple pink estaz eggs with a pearl krystal flash tail.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

McFly: That is very nice work! The Krystal Flash really sets those flies up! Good luck with them, I'm betting the steelies like them!

Larry
Old 03-12-2010, 03:27 AM

here is some pearl ones with red thread(maybe a blood dot? Idk seen it tied like that so I did it) and pearl flash for a tail.. I now hear peach is a great color too... ughh figures! more money to spend..I bet chartreuse would also be good! Maybe get them both next time. haha!
oh and here is a close up of the pink egg!!