The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 11:54 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default I tweaked a standard just a bit; My version of a Henry's Fork Hopper.

For the Hopper Swap on this forum I chose to do a Henry's Fork Hopper. I chose this mostly to push my self a bit with a new pattern to me that looks a bit complicated.

However, after looking at the pattern I thought it might benefit from some new material, foam.

I looked around and couldn't find any info on a foam body version, so while I'm sure I'm not the first to try this, it's still my interpretation of the fly.

Here is a Step my Step, feel free to add your versions or to try my version and post pics. I think this could be a fun mini version of Pocono's Tie Along.

Here are the materials I used.

Hook - TMC 5212 #10
Thread - UTC Ultra 140, Olive
Under Wing - Yellow Deer Body Hair
Wing - Mottled Turkey, Natural
Head and Collar - Green Deer Body Hair
Body - Brown and Chartreuse craft foam
Legs - Chartreuse Silly Legs

Pictured is also some Orange craft foam that I planned on using for an indicator, but I forgot.

Not pictured is SUper Glue.

Click the image to open in full size.

First I prep the foam for the body. My design uses a dark color and a light color, I used brown and chartreuse. Cut them into strips about 1/8th" (or sized to your hook). To make sure they are all the same width I just stacked all the parts and used an exacto to cut along a straight edge.

Cut the pieces to length thinking about the tail end over hanging a bit and so they leave room in the front for tying in the head (about 1/4 to 1/3 of the hook)

Cut the lighter material to about 1/4" (longer or smaller depending on hook length.

Find the mid point of the main piece and mark it. Use super glue to glue the small accent piece a bit back from center.

Run the hook through the body foam a bit back from center on the other side.

Put the hook in your vice and make a thread base leaving some space in front and back to about the barb of the hook.

Use some super glue and attach the bottom of the body to the hook.

Now fold the top part over and glue it to the hook and bottom.

Now bring your thread forward creating segment wraps as you go. I just went over the op of the body to each new wrap since that pretty much gets covered anyway.

Make sure you have room for the head.

Notice that this creates a kind of tapered body with a fat tail. I did this because that how most of the standard Henry's Fork Hoppers look to me and it balances the over all fly.

Next pick a small amount of the hair you chose for the underwing. Stack it, and tie it in like this.

Prep your turkey wing to it looks like this.

And then tie it in like this (keep remembering to leave room for the head)

For this step I missed a pic, but tie about a pencil sized clump of the hair for the head with the tips pointed forward. You can try to spin it, tie it in top and bottom then even it out, or just push it over the eye of the hook so the hook is centered.

Then start to form the head by pushing the hair out in a kind of halo around the eye.

For the next step I use a very expensive tool... A straw

Use it to push back the hair to the point where you are gonna tie off the head, then take a few wraps around to secure it.

Remove the straw and make a couple more wraps.

Next, the legs. Take a couple pieces of the silly legs (cut longer than you think you need to you can trim after) and tie knots in them to create the bend.

And tie them in where you tied off the head. One on each side.

Then whip finish and cut the thread. I put a small dab of glue on the underside of the thread.

Trim the under side of the fly like this.

Trim the lags to a length you like and you are done.

I hope you guys liked this. Personally I'm in love with this version of a hopper. It has parts of two different styles. It will float forever, and it's a big bushy hopper.

Please feel free to critique what I've done.

And like I said, show off your hoppers or try and tie one of these and show us pics.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:29 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: I tweaked a standard just a bit; My version of a Henry's Fork Hopper.

Nice looking fly and very nice SxS...

Dan
Old 04-28-2011, 10:32 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of
Default Re: I tweaked a standard just a bit; My version of a Henry's Fork Hopper.

I like your hopper mudbug. I'm in the Grasshopper swap so can't wait to get one. They match the ones we see in the Sierras that have the yellow/green bottom.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I can imagine flopping that down where the reeds and rush are dangling over the water. You know the places I'm thinking of here where you find natures version of the shaded waters' edge café. The 'splat', a quick mend, the short float, and there it is; the bulging prow wake being pushed ahead of something big rushing out from beneath the undercut just barely visible in the shadow of the longrass. All that remains is for you or I to keep our nerves in check. If we refrain from being too jumpy when the slashing strike that is now but a split second away at best comes, the day will be ours.

In other words that is a really good looking grass hopper and you are gonna have some fun with those. You must let us know when the imaginary scenario takes place for real.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-28-2011, 01:18 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Love the hopper and great step by step too. nice work!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:01 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Yeppers, Nice hopper and SBS/Photos.
Good Job, Thanks.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:06 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: I tweaked a standard just a bit; My version of a Henry's Fork Hopper.

Thanks awesome fly and tutorial !!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Thank you guys for the compliments (and the story ).
Old 06-18-2011, 02:45 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Just got my Hoppers from the swap. Sum this one up in one word AWESOME!!!! everybody.

Whoops wrong thread. I posted on the Hopper Swap thread too. Since I'm on your thread mudbug I'll tell all that your Henry's Fork Hopper is even more awesome in person.

Last edited by Jimmie; 06-18-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Whoops.....
Old 06-18-2011, 02:52 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I bet that is a very productive hopper, nice work!