The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 05:11 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Killer bug

Find some old yarn for F.Sawyers Killer Bug.
The fly is on a #14 hook.
The fly is wet on the picture with a mix from yarn colors 222 and 453.

Click the image to open in full size.

Some off the yarn I got from a friend last week.

Click the image to open in full size.

T
Old 04-28-2011, 06:46 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Killer bug

Nice looking fly Trygve...Long time no see...

Dan
Old 04-28-2011, 06:52 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Looks like trout food to me! 85% of a trouts diet is 3/8" long and fuzzy...that fits the bill.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Buggy looking for sure, Trygve. Nice pattern and good to see you back on the forum. Your flies are always very special.

Pocono
Old 04-28-2011, 09:43 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

The mixing of the two colors makes it look just like a grub...I like it.

Great Work

Dave
Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 AM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

Thank you friends

Here is a very nice video with Davie McPhail - showing how to tie the fly

Trygve
Old 04-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hello Trygve,

It's always interesting to see what you are up to with your fly tying. This reminds me of the very plain hares' ear fly I began nymph fishing with. When I wanted colors that the hares mask could not produce I used wool to make them. The finished products were very effective.

As I improved fly tying skills I started making very realistic stone and may fly nymphs. These had legs, tails, wing cases, and were really impressive to see clamped in the vise. Funny thing though, the realistic patterns when drifted in the riffles of my trout streams did not work any better and sometimes not as well as flies like you are showing me here. I would say that what you are showing is a very good nymph, grub, or scud imitation depending on size and color.

Good to see you back, keep the flies coming.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-30-2011, 12:02 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

looks like a tasty treat for any kind of fish