The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Classic New Zealand Streamers

A great set of flies! As a fly fishing history buff, its great to see patterns documented and their history passed along as well. Really a great contribution!
Gary
Old 03-16-2011, 04:21 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Thanks Gary.

Brian, you can import feathers that have no skin attached, otherwise you will have to pay for fumegation Ebay and feathers smc are good sources of loose Jungle cock nails.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Brian,

I gave the split-wing; ribbed technique a try on a Matuka pattern after seeing Chris' posts. I tied it on a soft body, which makes it more difficult, in my opinion, to get the feather barbs to lie smoothly after passing the ribbing through them.

Here's what it looked like (posted before):

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm going to try some killer patterns; Chris's flies have been great and Kelly also posted some nice ones.

Pocono
Old 03-16-2011, 10:05 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Allan, I like that fly a lot. The Killer Style of fly tying is awesome. I have a bunch I tied that did not look good in a picture, but I bet they will look good to fish. I am going to give them a whirl soon at the local fishing hole.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:25 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Thanks Chris for the info.
Pocono,great fly for your first attempt,I had several goes at getting it right when I first tried many years ago,the worst part is selecting two identical matching paired feathers.
Another trick I & many others use is to place one or two,sometimes slightly darker feathers or lower quality feather between the outer ones to save the good ones a for the outers.
I have tied Olive,Black,Red,Black & Red Matukas as well as most of Chris's Flies,I like the Cree & The Black Centred Brown Hackle Feathers.
Also with the larger flies I use the larger round or oval tinsel.
Brian.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 03-17-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:51 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Well I think it's about time to look at fixing the broken links in this thread and adding some new pics. I've started pulling my tying gear out of storage and hopefully ill find the original pictures to replace the ones that don't work now.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
kelkay likes this.

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 03-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Chris: Great to see you posting again! I hope you are doing well.

Larry